First Mule Deer hunt

Lethal_Chica

Just drove 1700 miles from home to Laramie Wyoming to visit a friend for a few days. Next Friday I am off for a Colorado mule deer hunt, my first with my new 6.5 SAUM.

This was the first time driving solo out west. I've done it before with companions. Honestly, it was good windshield time. Lots of time to think thoughts through in detail, and to enjoy the scenery.

My only complaint is my fuel mileage sucks on my new RAM Rebel. When I get home, I am going back to a diesel. I have trips planned out for the next several years and I intend to drive to each of them - I hate flying and checking my guns. I've done it, but I just don't like it.

Wish me luck. Hoping to come home with a punched tag.

Attachments

• 20201016_190150.jpg
    20201016_190150.jpg
    930.7 KB · Views: 487
  • 20201016_190424.jpg
    20201016_190424.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 486
Geez, are you towing something? My Ram averaged 19.5 daily, 60 miles round trip on rural roads mainly... for over 100K miles. Had a 3.5" lift, camper shell and 285 70r 18 TA KOs. I did have a trip to WY a couple years ago whereas the S.D. wind averaged 65 mph all the way across... and my mileage dropped to 13.5 mpg.
My 2020 Silverado 5.3 has a 2" lift and 275 75r 18 Cooper all terrains and does about 1-1.5 mpg worse than the Ram did. The Silverado pulls the camper very well and has about everything you could imagine as options... but darn I miss my Ram. Impulse trade and peer pressure sucks.

Geez, are you towing something? My Ram averaged 19.5 daily, 60 miles round trip on rural roads mainly... for over 100K miles. Had a 3.5" lift, camper shell and 285 70r 18 TA KOs. I did have a trip to WY a couple years ago whereas the S.D. wind averaged 65 mph all the way across... and my mileage dropped to 13.5 mpg.
My 2020 Silverado 5.3 has a 2" lift and 275 75r 18 Cooper all terrains and does about 1-1.5 mpg worse than the Ram did. The Silverado pulls the camper very well and has about everything you could imagine as options... but darn I miss my Ram. Impulse trade and peer pressure sucks.
I'm going back to a 2500 RAM Cummings Diesel. I should never traded it in on this. But oh well.

Should've gotten a Ford Lol

I have the 6 cyl 3.5 Ecoboost with 375hp and 470 ft/lb torque. I get 18 to 20 mpg on highway. Also can tow quite a bit, more than any V8. Towing I get 12 to 14 mpg.

For a Diesel nothing like a Cummins though.

Stay safe and good luck on your hunt. Safe travels.

@Hatrick and @26Reload, well I was a trooper for a long time when I started my now 27 year career in law enforcement. The old saying was we had one seed, Trooper Speed! Was the truth for many years.

Now though with age, I take it easier. The limit was 75 most of the way and set the cruise on 80. The head wind was something for sure. However, I would never have guessed I would only get 13. 3.... Love the truck, but when I get home I am ordering a new 2500 Diesel. Every year for the next 4 years I have hunts planned and long drives to get there. I personally like driving vs flying.

I was not a believer, but got this a few months ago. Basically, it improves the acceleration in 3 modes. However, for long trips on the highway in eco mode, I went from getting 13mpg in my 2014 Raptor to 17mpg, it's worth a try Pedal Commander - PC78 for Ram trucks (2019 and newer for 5th Gen. Trucks) Fits Body Style: 1500, 2500 | Throttle Response Controller with Bluetooth https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMBWDN6/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Good luck on your hunt and with your new Ram diesel. I hope you have better luck than I did with the Ram diesel. Traded my 2015 3500 Ram, 16000 miles, after 8 recalls and 7 breakdowns for a New Superduty. How's the 6.5 SAUM performing for you. I'm gathering components now to build one.

Last edited:
Good luck on your hunt and with your new Ram diesel. I hope you have better luck than I did with the Ram diesel. Traded my 2015 3500 Ram, 16000 miles, after 8 recalls and 7 breakdowns for a New Superduty. How's the 6.5 SAUM performing for you. I'm gathering components now to build one.
I've had good luck with my RAMs. Had one previous 2500 Cummings. I might just look at chevy and ford to say I gave it a look.

The SAUM is awesome. I absolutely love it.

Victoria
Trooper Speed.....bahh
More like
SuperSpeed

Lmao...in youth yes... For sure. Pedal down!

Be safe and enjoy yourself . I drive 1350 miles ever year to Nebraska to deer hunt .i I have people ask me why and you need your truck to hunt for one and I use the driving time to whine down from work and the hustle to get away , then the drive home is to relax and enjoy before having to go back to work .

Be safe and enjoy yourself . I drive 1350 miles ever year to Nebraska to deer hunt .i I have people ask me why and you need your truck to hunt for one and I use the driving time to whine down from work and the hustle to get away , then the drive home is to relax and enjoy before having to go back to work .
That is exactly how I feel about the windshield time... Good time to chill.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.