First mid-long range gun

Mcarso1

a year ago I started looking into reworking my model 700 stainless synthetic 280 into a longer range gun but haven't done anything yet. I started reading about some of the box guns on the market right now and am wondering if I would be better served buying one of them verses tearing my 700 apart. Need some good quality advice ? Looking at Christensen arms ridge line or browning x bolt hells canyon speed or maybe long range McMillan? Thinking 6.5. Or a 28 Nosler ? After shoulder surgery I don't want to go heavier recoil but in the same sense I won't be shooting too many rounds a year, maybe plates on the farm couple times a year and few rounds before season?

If a quality gunsmith does your 700 I'm sure you would be pretty happy with it but it might not save much money. With rifles like Christiensen/Fierce/Cooper...it's a tough call. If it were me, I'd go with something like a Fierce/Christiensen...but that being said i don't have one. I have a few built on Savage or Remington actions and I am happy with them. My friend has a 28 Nosler built on a 700 action with a break and the recoil is suprisngly light. It is pretty impressive.

Lets say you're looking at the spending $2-4K on the factory gun to get .5 moa (prices from Cabela's). That most likely needs bedded and a trigger job (with a couple of the brands you mentioned anyway).

Find a gunsmith and give him your action to build a true .5 MOA rifle
True/blueprint your action roughly $300
Buy good inletted stock off this site of your choice $650
Bed said stock $150
Order decent trigger $200
Buy a decent barrel $400
Chamber said barrel $300

These are rough estimates of cost that I slightly overestimated on purpose you may need to throw a reamer in there as well, but you're at $2K with the exact rifle you wanted (I could argue $1650 because of the bedding and trigger) with a few parts left over to sell that might buy you some reloading dies...just my .02

I would go for a Christensen/ Tikka but if you have a Good Gunsmith you can rework your 700 which ever choice you make both are in the north of 2000 but i encourage you to check with your Gunsmith discuss details with him, then you can have a clearer picture on what choice to make

I spoke with gunsmith today and he got me thinking about different options. First I think I may go with my action ,sticking with 280, new stock , barrel and trigger. He beds stock and trues action and puts break on barrel. After talking I realistically will be comfortable with 5-600 yard shot on animal and the 280 can handle that. If I decide on Christensen arms then I will go 6.5 and keep my yardage on deer/elk 500 or less and then be able to enjoy shooting hogs and yotes and still have my stock 280 and throw a trigger and bed it to sweeten it up a bit? So many decisions

I am fairly new to long range so take this with a grain of salt. I have a CA 300 WM Mesa and I am getting consistent .5 MOA groups out to a 1000 yards. Extremely happy with it for the $ I spent on it. I know not everyone of them will shoot that well, but the overall quality for the $ spent is hard to beat.

find a used tikka t3x donor and hit the guys up at ES tactical. They can get you something that will work extremely well for a fair price

I have 3 factory guns that shoot 1/2 MOA. A bergara and a savage that have absolutely nothing done to them. The bergara shoots factory ammo at 1/2 MOA. Savage shoots handloads at 1/2 MOA. My model 700 in .300 win mag shoots under 1/2 MOA out to 1400 yards with handloads. It has a used Hs precision stock for $200, triggertech special trigger, and it was $180 to have a break put on it.

My 2 cents, but I'm cheap and a new dad so I don't have money for a $4000 dollar gun build.

After a lot of research I decided on the CA ridgeline in 6.5x284, mounted a nightforce ATACR 5x25x56. I am extremely happy with the purchase. Wasn't the cheapest route but it is a great setup and working loads for it now.

I've got a couple of custom guns that shoot great but my son-in-law has a 280 Remington with a jewel trigger and a McMillan stock that shoots with em out to a grand with 168 bergers. he loads his own and gets real close to 1/4 min out to 1000.

Cooper rifles in various platforms and calibers have an msrp of mid $2k's and a 1/2 MOA guarantee.

I'm in the process of building a custom rifle and I'll have about $4k in just the rifle.... I should have just bought another Cooper.

You could also contact Benchmark or Pac Nor or SHilen or McGown or a few others and for 600 get a new barrel put on. They usually have an accuracy pkg they do which is square the face and lap the lugs. Some have their own brake unless you have a preference then just opt for the threaded barrel. A set of electronic muffs and your shoulder issues will be somewhat protected better.
You can also go the bug nut or remage route. Either have it done or DIY for even less. If you like what the 280 does the 280 ai does it better. All you would need is a set of dies. Go with a 9tw and shoot 180 and down. 168s fit the amount of powder you use a bit better.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts