First McMillan stock

Benman73

Finally, after years of wanting one, I recently took possession of my first McMillan stock. Something about the A5 has always appealed to me. I had a CZ 550 22-250 laminate stocked rifle with a shot out barrel that I decided to upgrade, and I think it came out really nice. Although a bit heavy, it balances perfectly right in front of the magazine.

McMillan made the stock solid fiberglass using no filler material and installed a Henderson Precision RSR rail in the fore end. The Mullerworks barrel was chambered in 308 by Southern Precision Rifles, who also installed a Timney trigger, timed the TBAC CB brake, and had the barreled action sent off to be cerakoted in graphite black. Joe Ducos, aka the Stock Doc, installed the KMW cheek piece hardware on the back end, and an Atlas CAL bipod rides in the front. A Minox ZP5 in Seekins rings finished it off. Total weight with unloaded mag and without the Ultra 7 attached is 17 pounds.

Completed2 6-23-21.jpg

Finally, after years of wanting one, I recently took possession of my first McMillan stock. Something about the A5 has always appealed to me. I had a CZ 550 22-250 laminate stocked rifle with a shot out barrel that I decided to upgrade, and I think it came out really nice. Although a bit heavy, it balances perfectly right in front of the magazine.

McMillan made the stock solid fiberglass using no filler material and installed a Henderson Precision RSR rail in the fore end. The Mullerworks barrel was chambered in 308 by Southern Precision Rifles, who also installed a Timney trigger, timed the TBAC CB brake, and had the barreled action sent off to be cerakoted in graphite black. Joe Ducos, aka the Stock Doc, installed the KMW cheek piece hardware on the back end, and an Atlas CAL bipod rides in the front. A Minox ZP5 in Seekins rings finished it off. Total weight with unloaded mag and without the Ultra 7 attached is 17 pounds.

View attachment 282556
Looking to buy a McMillan for our 338LMAI build. That's a sharp setup!

Molded-in McMillan stocks are always a classic! Interesting the cheek piece is not cut all the way forward like most others I've seen. Did Stock Doc cut out the cheek piece from the butt as well, or was it cut out at the factory and he just installed the KMW hardware?

Joe did all the work. The cut was limited on the front by the amount the bolt extends backwards and on the rear due to the clamp bar of the 3-way butt plate. But he nailed it. McMillan also did a fine job and they were a pleasure to work with.

It shoots very well. Greg and the gang over at Bugholes know what they're doing. I'm in the process of saving for another build with the focus being a mid-weight precision hunting rifle and am having trouble deciding between using another McMillan stock or one of the lightweight chassis on the market. Today we are blessed with so many good options.