first looooooooong kill

marc, are you nuts? 80 yards is an ubsurd distance! i suggest only highly skilled markesmen ( like my self) try the shot. it can be very challenging and it is better to let the prey walk then to injure it! the wind was perect and i was confident in my rifle, that is the only reasy i attempted such a long shot!

The only thing Im getting out of this is that he seems to think 80 yards on a coyote is a big deal.heck I can it a quarter at that distance.

hahaha, I thought the same thing till I read it. I do believe it is sarcasm. I believe coues said he can shoot out to around 400 yards??? So I think he was giving us a hard time when he said looooooong shot for 80 yards. I also like when them so called "smart dogs" hang up at around 400-500 yards. They just sit there thinking there safe, then they get the 25-06 lined up on em and its all over.

I went out calling the other day. Tried a new area. First started glassing and I seen a yote in the field sitting there alrady staring at me. He had me pinned from the get go. I proceeded to let my foxpro do the calling anyways. He just sat there about 800-1000 yards away. It was a very flat field and sunny, my nikon 800 would not pick him up, or I would have tried the shot with my 300 RUM. I have hit a coyote at 775, so I woulda felt ok about the shot, but I at least woulda scared the poop out of him. Anyways, about 3 minutes of calling and my buddy says, "hey theres another one". He was running down the fenceline just hightailing it for us. He would not stop. He got to about 200 yards, then he turned and was going downwind. Still moving pretty good, there was a little knob and I figured he was going to get around that and wind us. Sure enough, thats exactly what he did. I never seen him again!!! I was kinda mad because I should just shot him on the run at 200 yards. Oh well. It got my friend going. He had never called in a coyote before. I tried howling, screaming, whistling, that dang dog wouldnt' stop for nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It was a very flat field and sunny, my nikon 800 would not pick him up, or I would have tried the shot with my 300 RUM.

[/ QUOTE ]

OUCH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.