first long range rifle

wackinandstackin243

Hi I am wackinandstackin243. I would like to get started in long range coyote and target shooting. I have recently made the decision to hunt less and shoot more, especially at longer distances. I plan to start saving for and putting together a long range coyote rig preferably in 243 win. Any advice on scopes and turrets are most welcome. There is plenty of people advising what to do but the "what not to do" is the most useful info I would like to learn.

Good question. What is the maximum range that you would like to shoot? The first thing "not to do" would be predisposed to the traditional approaches, and jump in too fast. To shoot proficiently beyond 500 yards, details really matter. Doing the homework and understanding the right questions is key. I recommend reading Bryan Litz's book Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting. IMHO.

I have been shooting coyotes at 300 yds or so with leupolds varmint reticle but would like to take it to the next level. I feel a turret system would be more precise beyond 300. I would like to hit coyotes consistantly out to 4 or 500 and steel at 50-700. I plan on starting with a rem 700 accurized int a Mcmillan stock and a scope calibration with either a gunwerks nightforce or greybull leupold. I would prefer to use handloads but my reading tells me most scope calibration places want to use factory ammo. Thanks for the reply!

I have a G7 Nightforce from Gunwerks, great scope snd highly recommend it. Using the G7 Ballistic program you can use turrets or the ballistic Reticle. Either the Reticle or turret using MOA, yardage , or both can be calibrated for use with either hand loads or factory. Lots of flexibility. Depending on your barrel twist, high BC VLD handloads will give you improved long range csabilty. I'd go with a 1:7 or 1;8 for long tange work. If you go this route make sure your throated to handle VLD's, and the magazine length will handle them. You csn't go wrong with s well bedded McMillan stock and 700 action.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.