First Long Range Rifle Build, Few Questions...

My first long range rifle build is all being delivered in various shipments over the next few days. I have a few question but first, here's the setup I decided on:

Remington 700 Sendero SF II .300 Win Mag
Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP MRAD EBR2C reticle
Seekins 20 MOA Rail
Seekins .87" Matched Rings
Harris Bipod 6-9" Swivel, Notched
FTW Sling
FTW Rear Bag
Pelican 1750 Case

The questions I am left with after reading countless articles and watching many videos...

To break in the barrel or not? After reading this article/post it brings up a lot of good points and makes me question the how and why would I break in a barrel.

Proper Cleaning Kit - Will the Dewey 30 Cal kit cover all my bases properly? Any other recommendations or thoughts?

Last but certainly not least, Ammo. I am on a budget and looking for quality factory ammo that is not going to kick me in the balls every time I pull out my wallet to buy it. Let's say $40 a box, $2 a round give or take a few cents. What would you recommend?

You off to a good start!

Without going to any debate, I do barrel break ins and I follow Lilja's recommended break-in process (or a modified version). Lots of them out there.

Lots of good one piece cleaning rod out there too like your Dewey choice; you might want to consider a bore guide too.

As far as factory ammo, if you can get them, check out HSM's ammo in 210 Berger (Trophy Gold)

or

ABM's 230 Berger (300 Winchester Magnum 230gr Berger Match Hybrid Target)

They are a bit over your budget, but you pay for more for premium ammo/bullet. :rolleyes:

NOTE:

lightbulbConsider investing into reloading!lightbulb

Of course I'd love to reload but I live in a small apartment with no room for reloading and I am on a fairy tight budget, especially after indulging in the rifle setup to begin with.

Hornady makes good bullets that are relatively cheaper factory wise but like feenix said hsm makes good stuff. If you do go look at hornady look at the sst for hunting or the amax bullet if you want to primarily be a target gun that can be used to hunt.

From a hunting perspective I know it would be expensive but consider hunting out of state as you get longer seasons in Idaho and Oregon. Nothing like hunting the whitetail rut!

Of course I'd love to reload but I live in a small apartment with no room for reloading and I am on a fairy tight budget, especially after indulging in the rifle setup to begin with.

This is a few years ago but I made mine mobile and started with a 20"x60" board with a folding legs ...

004-1.jpg

003-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

001-3.jpg

Yes on the barrel break in. I have that same rifle and it shoots DoubleTap 180gr accubonds very well ($47/box) from midwayusa

I agree with the barrel break-in. It is time consuming, and might be a pain in the a**, but you will thank yourself later. Once you start shooting multiple shot groups without the break-in proceedure, you obviously can't "go back" and start over with the break-in proceedure. You don't have to use the top shelf expensive ammo for the break- in, you can use some of the inexpensive stuff.
If you do use the high price ammo, you can use the "break-in" proceedure to sight in your scope, and get an idea of the groups the rifle shoots, albeit only one shot at a time. But you can only shoot one shot at a time anyway, just a little more time between shots when you clean after every shot during the break-in.

if you don't have a muzzle brake, get one asap. 300wm is a bruiser especially in light rifles.

nice choice of scope and reticle. that exact scope and reticle is my favorite, i have it on both my ELR rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts