First Long range rifle and first attempt at it

Val

Hello all..... brand new to the site been looking at it and reading for about a month.. but finally register a couple of days ago.... Just picked up a Marlin XL7 with 26" heavy barrel/w bipod, and 4x16x42mm scope and going this sunday to try and make my first 400 yard shot. Dont have any idea how this is going to go but going to give it one hell of an effort.... the rifle is a 22-250 if anyone can give me some pointers... be greatly appreciated. thanks again

Welcome to the addiction. Before you go wasting ammo at 400yds, take some time to get to know the rifle. Buy a couple different brands of ammo unless you are reloading. Make sure you get a good zero. You want to try and figure out your estimated velocity and pull up a drop chart using JBM Calculations. Do a good barrel break in while your shooting. This will add longevity and accuracy to your rifle. I'm interested in hearing how that rifle shoots. I want one of the new .223's with the AR mag. Let us know how it goes.

Tank

Hello all..... brand new to the site been looking at it and reading for about a month.. but finally register a couple of days ago.... Just picked up a Marlin XL7 with 26" heavy barrel/w bipod, and 4x16x42mm scope and going this sunday to try and make my first 400 yard shot. Dont have any idea how this is going to go but going to give it one hell of an effort.... the rifle is a 22-250 if anyone can give me some pointers... be greatly appreciated. thanks again

Get a couple boxes of 55 gr ammo, sight it in at 100 yards (or whatever you prefer) get a velocity estimate, print out a drop chart and fire away. There's no better way to learn how to shoot 400 yards than to do it. I hope it works out well for you.

thanks for the pointers and the encouragement i will diffentley let you kno how it shoots and how the shooting goes...

Welcome. Slow down and relax.

Start off at 100yds and follow their recommended break in procedure to the letter.

Once you get it grouping sub moa (under 1"@100yds) look up your drops out to 400yds on a drop chart, dial it up and give it a try.

Personally I'd say relax and work your way out at fifty yard increments so you can get some practice along the way and that will help build your confidence.

If you have a choice of how/where to set up, do so where you have either a direct head or tail wind and that will eliminate one of the major variables.

Hi Val and welcome.
It can be hard to impossible to see small caliber bullet strikes if they don't hit your target at longer ranges. Having a spotter can sure help.

I took a friend out who wanted to shoot 500 yards and suggested we start at 100 yards but he wanted no part of that and it was 500 off the getgo. Well, about 10 rounds later, I could see the frustration building as he plowed the ground around the target. So we started at 100, 200, etc.

He is now quite capable to 600 yards.

Have fun.

Sorry guys im new and still trying to sort through all of this stuff. I keep seeing stuff about breaking in a barrel. What exactly does that mean? Oh and im not in any position to give advice to anyone but i feel like the old adage holds true. Crawl before you walk, walk before you run. Good luck OP

Eric

Sorry guys im new and still trying to sort through all of this stuff. I keep seeing stuff about breaking in a barrel. What exactly does that mean? Oh and im not in any position to give advice to anyone but i feel like the old adage holds true. Crawl before you walk, walk before you run. Good luck OP

Eric

A lot of barrels, even the aftermarket barrels need to be worked over with loaded rounds. The barrels have a tendency to have machining marks that catch copper as the bullet rotates through. Some are far worse than others, and factory barrels are the biggest abusers of copper collecting. So by breaking in the barrel, it smooths the bore making it faster, more accurate, and clean up better. It doesn't eliminate the problem entirely, but lessens the issue. Some guys swear by it, and others could care less. I am a firm believer in barrel break in. There are many different ways to do it. Some factory rifles give instructions on how to break in their barrels.

Tank

2robate, just do a search on barrel break in, lots of info floating around these forums. As always if you can't find something just ask. Its a great bunch of knowlegeable people here.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.