First Long Range Kill

rscott5028

My 14yo son has shot numerous deer in the last 4 years. But, he got his first long range kill this morning.

He shot a doe at 548 yards with a Sendero 7mm Rem Mag shooting 180gr Berger and 59.5gr of RL22.

1 shot in the crease behind the shoulder. ...dead before she heard the shockwave.

wcs-20101218-548yd-doe-sm.JPG

...actually, I shouldn't say 1 shot.

He's practiced now for about 2 yrs since we first got a copy of the Shooting Beyond Belive DVD set.

I have just over 1,000 rounds on 8 different rifles recorded for him in an Excel spreadsheet.

I am very proud of him as any dad would be.

Thanks for all the pointers!!!
Richard

Hey looks like those loads worked just great. That boy can shoot. Congrats. Hope there's more to come.

Firecat

Hey looks like those loads worked just great.
Firecat - I was very impressed with the terminal performance of the 180g Berger. Even at a very moderate 2606fps mv, there was a pinhole going in and a gapping 3" hole with what was left of the lungs sucked out like a vaccuum on exit.

That's the stuff that Life and America is really all about!!!
Chadster73 - You got that right! Too many kids nowadays think food originates at either the grocery store or the drive thru window. He gutted, skinned, and quartered this one himself with a little help from dad.

Thanks!!!

I'm going to congratulate "dad" you're obviously a very conscientious father and doing a great job. we need more like you in this country.

I've got to congratulate DAD also for the time, effort and care helping the young man develop his abilities. Always impressive to see a youngster put in the time and effort to reach the level your son has. I can tell by the smile in the picture that he has a memory with his "hunting partner" that will not fade.

Congrates to your son on a fine shot.:cool: I'll bet he's the cock of the walk at school now. I've never regreted taking my kids out hunting. Now I've got a best friend to hunt with forever.

Now you need to build him his own longrange .308 or something similar with just his name on it. gun)

That is AWESOME! Good job training the boy... please pass along another "congrats!"

awesome that's great inspiration for me .what kind of scope is on that gun and did he dial it up or hold over and what did he use for a rest ? Good job dad !!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.