First Long Range Hunting Build

What about fixing up your 300 W? I've hunted all over the west with a 30-378 and 28 inch fluted barrel. Get a barrel twist setup for 210 and 240 grain. Then any deer is dead out to 800 yards

I am not a fan of wimpy power scopes or small objective lenses for open country. My advice is to get 50mm min or better yet 56 or 60mm

As for power 6-24 is a good all around. The majority of my precision shooting is always done right around 20 -24 power.

With the new VLD hunting bullets for 270 cal that IMO beats out 6.5's

Just to through this out there but you can have a Savage model 10 predator hunter max 1 in a 260 for less money and no parts swapping. It's a heavy fluted varmint barrel, Accutrigger and stock, add some Lapua brass and 140 Bergers and your GTG.

I would look at the Stockade Gun stocks p-dog special, a very little finish work if you buy the money saver for $235. I have both the B&C and P-Dog in hand and the B&C is just a club compared to the P-Dog, only kicker is a 16 week wait but its worth it IMO.

I second both suggestions. I have the B&C A2. It's nice and does the job, but the Stockade stock is much nicer. My cousin got the money saver and it is really nice compared to the Medalist. It has an aluminum bedding block plus he glass beds the block for good tight fit.

Tank

I have came to a point were I am ready to really get into long range hunting, shooting, and ballistics and with that am starting to put together my first build. Wanted to lay it out to you guys and see what you think.

First of all, like most Im on a budget (raising a family) but at the same time want the best I can get for my money. I am planning on about 1k with out scope. The Rifle will be for long range deer, antelope, sheep (if ever drawn), and occasional elk if I had too (I have a .300 weatherby for serious elk hunting). I would like to learn and practice out to a 1000 yards on paper, but probably would consider this a max 800 yard hunting rifle. This is what I have came up with so far....

*6.5X284 Norma
*Stevens 200 short action ($200)
*ER Shaw Replacement barrel, threaded, chambered Varmit Contour .850" ($160.00)
*Savage 10 B&C Medalist Varmit/Tactical Stock, black w/ grey webbing ($230)
*Rifle Basix Trigger ($100)
*Gunsmith Labor, flute barrel, screw in, adjust/check head spacing, duracoat reciever and barrel matte black ($200)

That puts together a pretty nice rifle that should shoot good for about $900.00. I do plan on bedding and free floating myself as I have done this numerous times and know what Im doing.

I would like to shoot Berger 140 VLD bullets as I think this would work just fine on lighter boned deer, antelope, sheep type game. And with 26" of barrel should get good velocities.

Lastly would come scope rings and bases. I want to get the rifle built first and then move forward, but at this point I do really like the SWFA SS 10X42 scope for bout $300.00, but I am SO hesitant on a fixed power scope for a hunting rifle. Problem is I don't think I can clear more than about that price for my optic at this time.
Saw this Video over at Sniper's hide and though of you and your quest for a scope and looking at the SS's.

Note, they are talking specifically about the HD model here which is pricier than their bargain box scopes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l26bDVQztRo&feature=player_embedded]‪SWFA SS HD 5-20X‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for all the responses. I have tweeked a few things and made some decision on final parts. Going down to buy a stock stevens 200 today and will order all the parts this afternoon. Going to give updates as the build progresses. This is what it will entail...

Caliber - .260 rem
Stevens 200 action
Shilen Savage drop in barrel, varmit contour .800, 26"
B&C tactical.varmit stock -olive green.
Rifle Basix serires 2 trigger.

Gunsmith is going to flute barrel and get it set and check head spacing for 100 bucks. Going to put down a matte black finish, probably ceracoat.

Getting the SS10X42 non hd version as I can trade in an old scope with SWFA and get a deal.

Only thing left is Rings and Bases...Do I really need 200 dollar Badger Ordernace type rings or is there a more econimcal route to go??? PS I had leupold/burris std ring set types, probably want some type of picatinney system.

Thanks for all the responses. I have tweeked a few things and made some decision on final parts. Going down to buy a stock stevens 200 today and will order all the parts this afternoon. Going to give updates as the build progresses. This is what it will entail...

Caliber - .260 rem
Stevens 200 action
Shilen Savage drop in barrel, varmit contour .800, 26"
B&C tactical.varmit stock -olive green.
Rifle Basix serires 2 trigger.

Gunsmith is going to flute barrel and get it set and check head spacing for 100 bucks. Going to put down a matte black finish, probably ceracoat.

Getting the SS10X42 non hd version as I can trade in an old scope with SWFA and get a deal.

Only thing left is Rings and Bases...Do I really need 200 dollar Badger Ordernace type rings or is there a more econimcal route to go??? PS I had leupold/burris std ring set types, probably want some type of picatinney system.
No you don't need them.

Leupold, Burris, many others have quality rings. I suggest though you get the 30mm Rings with inserts for 1" scope. Go ahead and have the rings properly aligned and lapped.

The inserts though pevent any "ring marks" so that when you get ready to trade up your scope will have a higher value.

Get a good 1 piece tactical base with a 10-15 degree riser, and get the tactical rings of course to go with them.

I would make a couple of suggestions as well. Burris XTR Rings, and an EGW 20 MOA base. Look into the SSS heavy recoil lug at brownell's.

Tank
I'll second that. Burris XTR and Leupold Tactical rings are both first rate.

From what I've seen the EGW are a real good buy for the money.

With the .260 though I am not so sure it's worth the extra money for the heavy recoil lug, but certainly not a complete waste of money either.

With the .260 though I am not so sure it's worth the extra money for the heavy recoil lug, but certainly not a complete waste of money either.

The factory recoil lug is stamped. The one I suggested will be stiffer and machined to uniform dimensions. Anything for accuracy. If he's building it, why not? It's about $40 if I remember. If you have any questions pertaining to your build, pm me. I built a rifle from parts, only I used a Savage Accu-trigger action.

Tank

the upgrade of the recoil lug is definately worth its weight in gold in my opinion. You can find a lot of parts and accessories for your rifle through SSS website also. Good luck with the build. looking forward to hearing more on the project as it progresses.

Well I got the Stevens today (bought a .243) going to try to sell the barrel and stock to offset costs. Got out later then expected so I wasn't able to do my parts ordering, going to try to get it done tomorrow.

Thought I would share that I already have a tweak. I was set on the .260, but after really checking ballistics with the 140 VLD and wanting a legit 800+ yard cartridge, I just feel I was pushing it to much. Tomorrow I will order the Shilen drop in barrel in 6.5X284, especially after watching some videos of former best of the west guys dropping deer, sheep, and elk with the cartridge at distances pushing a 1000 yards.

One question, Midwayusa has bushnell elite 3200 scopes in 7-21x40 mildot reticle for 299.99, would that be a better optic for this application then the 10x SS?

Well I got the Stevens today (bought a .243) going to try to sell the barrel and stock to offset costs. Got out later then expected so I wasn't able to do my parts ordering, going to try to get it done tomorrow.

Thought I would share that I already have a tweak. I was set on the .260, but after really checking ballistics with the 140 VLD and wanting a legit 800+ yard cartridge, I just feel I was pushing it to much. Tomorrow I will order the Shilen drop in barrel in 6.5X284, especially after watching some videos of former best of the west guys dropping deer, sheep, and elk with the cartridge at distances pushing a 1000 yards.

One question, Midwayusa has bushnell elite 3200 scopes in 7-21x40 mildot reticle for 299.99, would that be a better optic for this application then the 10x SS?
My advice would be to wait and save a little more money and buy better glass than either of those two. I owned quite a few Bushnell's and to be honest they are the bottom of the barrel in most respects.

Since you are stepping up to the 6.5x284 (great caliber) you need much better glass as you will almost certainly be stepping up and trying to stretch your abilities to the limits of the cartridge range wise.

You're going to end up with a rifle worth a grand. Don't insult it, or limit yourself to cheap glass.

As a rule you should be willing to spend more on the glass than on the rifle you put it on.

Check the classifieds here, Over and Sniper's hide, and Ebay.

For the money the Leupold 3.5x10x50, and Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44's and Leupold 4-16 or even the older model straight 16xLeupolds will serve you better.

Also, go for the largest diameter objective you can possibly afford in a quality scope. The extra few minutes of shooting time they afford you can be the difference in a once in a lifetime trophy and a "**** I wish I had more light" kind of hunt.

This should be a great rifle for you if it all comes together right. Be willing to spend at least 450.00-800.00 on a good used scope, or one of the HD SS's like the one in the review. That's probably the bottom end of scopes I'd recommend.

That's my take on it anyhow.

You continue to get good advice!
Well not so sure about that, but I always try to guide people in the same direction I'd go saving them the frustrations and disappointments along with a lot of wasted money.

If we can't learn from our own failures and share them with others we're pretty damned useless.

Well not so sure about that, but I always try to guide people in the same direction I'd go saving them the frustrations and disappointments along with a lot of wasted money.

If we can't learn from our own failures and share them with others we're pretty damned useless.

The saying goes "Experience is the best teacher.....as long is it is someone else's experience."

You are spot on!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.