first long range hunting build

brodiemn27

HI there, I am looking to build my first dedicated long range hunting rifle. I am pretty set on 300 WSM, but am considering 300 win mag. I think I want the short mag because of weight and will be using this on long elk hunts. I am new to long range hunting and have never built a gun from the ground up, so any advice is appreciated.

I have done a bit of research and think I want the HS Precision PST007 stock. I have heard good things about the savage actions, but I don't want a single shot action, and that is all I can seem to find for 300 WSM. Really I have just started looking around, and like I said am new to this area, so if you all could point me in the right direction for this build I would truly appreciate it. Also, am I going about this the wrong way by doing a complete ground up build, should I start with a base rifle and do a semi custom build? I would prefer to do complete custom, but maybe I am biting off more than I can chew..

Thanks guys

You're olnly losing about 1-1.5oz going with a short mag action vs full length mag action.

Not enough gain to mess with it as far as I'm concerned.

There's also the simple fact that no matter where you travel on a hunting trip should you get separated from your custom/handloaded ammo you can find 300wm ammo any place ammo is sold whereas you may have a difficult time finding wsm ammo at the local hardware store.

I've never used one, but I keep seeing mention of folks having feeding issues with some of the WSM cartridges. In a Savage, I think they switched to "controlled round feed" to deal with that. Personally I would stick with the 300WM and push feed. I just finished building my first DIY on a Savage action, and went with 280 Ackley. I get just a little less velocity than my old 7rem mag using the same bullet, and the PacNor barrel is shooting very well as it breaks in. If you are into doing the work yourself it is a fairly straightforward exercise and very satisfactory results. I used a Boyd's Tacticool stock, simple woodwork to fit and bed.

Attachments

• Breaking in the 280AI 001.JPG
    Breaking in the 280AI 001.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 21
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.