First long range deer

Daves762

Ok with the miles wearing on my legs and the days of hunt season winding down I decided to settle for this buck and get a notch on my long range rig.

I was sitting on a knoll overlooking a great basin waiting for sunset to see what wandered into range. I has had seen some heavy tracks leading into the timber.

I was in heavy gusting wind and misread the wind twice sending the bullet wide with a miss. After calming myself I waited until the wind died down a bit and sent the third round. 210 VLD did it's job and the buck slid down the snow covered mountainside into heavy timber. This was NOT good as I had seen grizzly tracks earlier that day and It was nearly dark......

867yds is what the rangefinder said.

I know he isn't a big buck but it's better than tag soup.

Attachments

• Deer 2012 049.jpg
    Deer 2012 049.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 81
Nice going! Listen, I think we all need to chill on commenting on how "big" something is, myself included. You shot a really nice buck and that's what matters. Thank you for sharing!

I'll agree with Derek. Nice buck and way to go. And you are right---it's gonna taste a whole lot better than paper.................

Randy

Looks like a good hunt to me and a good buck too. Glad the grizz stayed away. Thanks for sharing the story and good job.

Jeff

Yes me too. You could have seen smoke comming off my knife while boning him out.

All I had was my headlamp and could only see about 20 feet.

I'm not affraid of much, but I'm completely affraid of grizzly bears in the woods at night while carrying a pack of bloody meat.....I wont lie....

That is a nice buck! Good shooting, even if it took a few more shots that you planned. Most hunters have no idea what it takes to make a shot like that, especially after missing it a couple of times!

Yes me too. You could have seen smoke comming off my knife while boning him out.

All I had was my headlamp and could only see about 20 feet.

I'm not affraid of much, but I'm completely affraid of grizzly bears in the woods at night while carrying a pack of bloody meat.....I wont lie....

I doubt ANYONE would NOT feel afraid in those conditions, congrats on the deer.

I think he's a great buck! I think the younger ones I've taken eat better (no I'm not a fan of antler soup, although it's better than tag soup!!!).

Thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.