First long range build.

coachA

I am looking to build a long range rifle pretty much from scratch. I just wanted to pick tall brain a little. If you was going to build a rifle from scratch, what I mean from scratch is buying the parts and assembling them, what components would you go with? For example: action, barrel, trigger and stock.........

Just did my first DIY. Savage 111, PacNor barrel, JP brake, Boyds stock, RifleBasix trigger, Defensive Edge cheek riser, Limbsaver pad, EGW rail, Burris Rings. Tools: barrel vise and savage barrelnut wrench, go/no-go gauges from MidwayUSA, JB Weld and Krylon spray paint from local hardware store. Built it in my basement, had it out past 1000 yards, very satisfying project.

I am looking to build a long range rifle pretty much from scratch. I just wanted to pick tall brain a little. If you was going to build a rifle from scratch, what I mean from scratch is buying the parts and assembling them, what components would you go with? For example: action, barrel, trigger and stock.........

What are you wanting to do with it? How far do you want to shoot? What game do you want to take down with it? Just some basic questions to help us determine what would be best for you! Also, how much are you looking to spend? gun)

I want to be able to shoot to 1000 yards but I won't ever be shooting at game out that far. I want some that is relatively easy to reload and shoot for fun. I will be doing some hunting with it though. I mainly just want to build one. I'm not real sure how much I'm going to put in to it. I have been thinking about a stiller action.

My savage is in 280 Ackley. Excellent trajectory for 1000 yard practice, low recoil, plenty of energy for game inside that distance (and maybe a little past it too...)

I have seen several people talking about the 280 Ackley but I don't know hardly anything about it. I have a 7 mm. Can someone compare the 280 Ackley and the 7mm. I am open to almost any caliber but I am very familiar with the 308 like most red blooded Americans.

I have seen several people talking about the 280 Ackley but I don't know hardly anything about it. I have a 7 mm. Can someone compare the 280 Ackley and the 7mm. I am open to almost any caliber but I am very familiar with the 308 like most red blooded Americans.

.280 AI vs 7mmRM is about 150 fps difference, with the 7mmRM ahead.

Have you looked into the .260 Rem or .260 AI? Those would make an excellent target caliber, too.

I am a huge .308 Win fan, too. I have 2 range-only toys, and they are a pair of Remington 700 5R Milspecs. One is a 24" .308 Win, the other is a 26" .300 WinMag. I can shoot all day (.308 Win), and the other can reach on out there for the real LR targets.

BAT or Surgeon action, Bartlein or Krieger barrel, Dakota BDL bottom metal, Wyatt magazine box, Jewell trigger, McMillan stock, Nightforce scope and rings.

I have been thinking about the 260. I would like to know more about it. I really like the idea of a short action.

The 260 in a short action is on the borderline with some receiver and magazine dimension for some bullet types. Hornady's 6.5 Creedmoor was created to solve that "problem". Long VLD style bullets seated out to reach the lands in standard length throats often result in COAL that won't fit the standard short action magazine. If you want to shoot lighter bullets, no problem. If you have a custom reamer made with a shorter throat, no problem. If you always load SAAMI COAL, no problem. But if you want to shoot the heavy long high BC bullets in a standard 260 chamber and throat, put in in a long action. And consider the Ackley version for maximum potential.

I have a build going now, where like the op said I bought all of the parts and took them to the smith. That was part of the fun for me.

Iam building a 7 saum on a long action defiance deviant, Bartlein 5r 1:9 twist with an mtu contour that will finish at 26" long. The action will go inton a McMillan a5 with a Jewell trigger.

It will be cerkoated barret bronze.

Calvin

I would like for this build to be in a short action. So any info needs to be in a short action. Thanks a lot for the information that yall have already shared.

If you are an experienced handloader, 6.5 SS would be better than all of them.

For more info on the caliber do a search and you will find several threads about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.