First lever action for mostly plinking

I just bought a Henry Big Boy Steel 357 of gun broker for my valentines day gift to myself. I am like that.
I handled a Marlin, Henry and Uberti. The Henry mid pack as far as smoothness. Uberti was sweet though, son of a gun.
I noticed right off that even making out the peep sights was not good, be worse if I put my glasses on, I could see target but not sights. Henry offers a nice picatinny base, positive I'll shoot it with a Kahles red dot.

As others have pointed out, the .357/.38 Special is a good option for a plinker/hunter.

I have a Rossi copy of the Winchester 92 acquired as part of a deal some time back. Didn't go looking for it, just part of said deal. It handles both cartridge lengths without a problem and is plenty accurate with both. One of my boys is able to bounce pop cans out past 40 yards with 38's and open sights without putting holes in them. I decided to try it on deer just 'cuz I could. Worked up a load using 180gr hardcast LBT bullets and 2400 powder that ran something over 2000 fps, 4" to 5" groups at 100 yards. Shot a six-point head-on through the sternum at 40 yards and the bullet went all the way through lengthways.

Fun gun that I'm keeping.

My favorite lever action is the savage 99 in 250-3000. Cheap to shoot, accurate and personally I think 99's were the best design built. Sorry Winchester Henry and Marlin

I bit the bullet on a Henry Big boy steel in 357 mag. No way could I make out the iron sights so I went with a rail and a red dot. I do great with a dot to 75 yards or so, my grouping was tight at 50 yards. I had a scope with and put 5 shots in 2" at 100 with it on. I cannot see myself tuning a load for it, 125 XTP with 14.3gr of AA #9.
Here is a 300 yard target, doable, but not easy in a 13 mph wind from 8 o'clock. Got a 2nd rd hit at 400, but was futile, lol.
I don't have issues shooting an AR style rifle offhand, but this felt uncomfortable.
henry1.jpghenry3.jpghenry2.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.