First lathe

biggrizz408

Well after lurking and doing a little work with a gunsmith I broke down and bought my first lathe. It is a south bend 415 rc with a 41/2 foot bed in mint condition from an estate sale it came with table wide asortment of accesories, all the gears to do threading. I will have to post some pic's after I get it cleaned up.

Well after lurking and doing a little work with a gunsmith I broke down and bought my first lathe. It is a south bend 415 rc with a 41/2 foot bed in mint condition from an estate sale it came with table wide asortment of accesories, all the gears to do threading. I will have to post some pic's after I get it cleaned up.

If you weren't so far away, I'd sneak in and steal the durn thing! :)

The extra stuff that came with is the expensive part.

Good find!!

Good luck with that lathe, I'm pinching pennies like a fiend to get the funds for one by the end of summer, hopefully!!

roy and big green thank you. It came with 2 geared heads steedy rest , dogs , reems awide assortment of bits, drills, tool holders, and a bunch of other stuff. I am not a machinest or a gunsmith. I got it for 250 dollars. so I dont thinck I got hurt to bad.:D

YES 250.00, I feel reeeeaaaal bad too.

Sure you do:D:D:D:D I researched the mod # and it looks like it should gitter done. If it's running a flat leather belt slap a serpentine belt on it, Ive seen some real good articles on how much better they are than the leather belts. I think Practical machinist had a how to on it.

Sure you do:D:D:D:D I researched the mod # and it looks like it should gitter done. If it's running a flat leather belt slap a serpentine belt on it, Ive seen some real good articles on how much better they are than the leather belts. I think Practical machinist had a how to on it.

+1 on the serpentine belt. I put one on my 9" South Bend, should have done it years ago. It made a new lathe out of it. Runs quiet as a field mouse with hiccups. I used a sharp woodchisel to trim it square to length, drilled holes in it and laced it together with soft stainless steel wire. I tried the Spectra fish line but that stuff cut it's way out of the belt in about 8 weeks. The stainless wire has been in there a year and looks like it was just installed.

Fitch

Thanks for all of the info. I went to the practical machinist web sight and all ready done the sepentine belt mod. I was lucky that my family at one time owned a dry cleaners alot of old machinery used leather belts, my dad kept the tooling for hooking the belts together and it works gust fine with the serpentine belt. I am working on a tool holder for some of the larger bits that it came with. I will try to get some pics in a few days.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.