First impressions of Vortex HS LR.

bigngreen

Well my WOTac finally wore out and I needed to make an optic upgrade so I ran into a nice selection of Vortex optics at a local store and felt them up and ended coming home with a Vortex 4-16x44 HS LR with the Dead HoldBDC reticle and a set of Nightforce ultra light rings.
I was a bit worried about this optic being set up with 1/2 MOA elevation clicks but liked the idea of having 24 MOA in one rev and after looking at the facts of the situation it's about as ideal a set up for the rifle it's going on, a 0-1200 yard meat whacker!!

I set it up in the rings on my test stand and leveled it then locked it down and commenced tracking calibration. It is tracking 1.042 at 100 yards so just shy of perfect MOA, as a side note here my dads Vortex PST tracks at the same value so we're 2 for 2 on Vortex product tracking very, very close!!

I whipped off the WOTac, tightened a loose base :rolleyes: and set up the Vortex on my 270 WSM, it fit much better and gave me a more comfortable check weld, loaded up some 175 Matrix and calibrated the Applied Ballistics program and ran to the range.
The optical clarity was such an upgrade and even with conditions that just flat knocked out my other optics the Vortex was easy to shoot. I could easily pick out the aim point on an antelope at 980 yards in heavy mirage so I really couldn't be happier with the glass.
I got zeroed and set the elevation turret,and installed the zero stop shims, really happy to have a zero stop and with a 20 MOA rail I have 72 MOA of elevation left! The capped windage turret simply zeros by lifting and turning, I like having it capped and tight to the scope for thrashing timber and the cap matches the elevation turret nicely.
First target was an 8in gong at 600 yards and spun it first shot and I could easily see the hit which I could not before. Second shot went to 1030 yards, dialed in one rev of 24 MOA and cranked on some wind and put it within 1/2 MOA of POA, so I'm very happy at this point and dial back to the zero stop and take the windage out and capped the turret. Next target was 1450 yards, dialed on 41.5 MOA and cranked the scope to 8x which put the second windage mark as 8 MOA, held on the second windage mark and let it go and watched it land at the base of a 18in rock, put on one more click and smoked it gun) I wanted to try using the reticle for hold over to see how it would do in a closer range situation. Ranged an 8in rock at 560 yards and checked my program and it called for 10 MOA up and 2 right so the second bar down is 4.5 MOA at 16x so I dialed it back to 8x again so it would be 9 MOA and I held at the top of the rock and over and wacked it twice quickly and turned back to the zero stop and checked zero again.
I'm very happy with the versatility this optic is going to bring to my hunting and it's going to work very well for the effective range of my rifle. I'll get my ranges set for the BDC reticle at the different substention that are clearly marked on the power ring and I can have a range and shoot ability but I can easily and quickly dial in for range and hold for wind out past 600 yards or so. It's really trimmed up my rifle, next to get changed is the barrel is going to go to a lighter contour and the stock is going to a Manners MCS-T giving me what I think is going to be a very versatile and effective meat stick that is packable :D

210.jpg

211.jpg

213.jpg

i have the regular version of this scope, by choice, and so far am very happy with the performance. just a great scope for the money.

Great review. My brother has the PST and i'm very impressed with it. With the warranty, price, and features they make an awesome light weight, long range hunting optic.

What contour are you going with on your rebarrel? What contour is on there now, rem varmint?

The more I shoot it the more I dig it, just a lot of scope for the money IMO. In this price range I think the SIII Sightron has a touch better glass and I like it on a heavier ELR rig but on a packing hard hunting rig the HS LR or PST are just more rugged in the turrets and with the zero stop it's a hard to beat.

MuleHunter I'm wanting to go with a #5 I think, the contour on it is obscenely heavy like a heavy palma or something, not sure just saw it and looked good for a barrel I was going to burn up having fun. I need to get this rifle to a state that I can swing up and pile drive a running deer but still have it set a bipod well for long shots, my dad has a #5 on his 6.5 Sherman and it does both very well, much more practical over all for a precision hunting rifle!! Going to keep it a 270 of some kind just because of the performance of the 165 Matrix on game but I have a hankering for something a little different than the WSM but I still may do it again.

BnG, Touch bases w/Grit.

He and I had an interesting FTF regarding the 270 cal. The AM is too over bore, unless WC870 will more consistently burn than US-869...

Something like a 338 Rum necked to 270 would seem a better fit to me.

Grit mention the 300 Dakota necked down. I'd probably lean that way...

However, if a 338 Rum would work, a 338 Lapua would be better simply because of the brass.

BTW, How's the little girl's rifle comin' along :D

Trust me I've been thinking about punching up a little more case for some of the new bullets, my personal favorite would be a 300 Norma mag case but the goal for this rifle is not to push the limits of anything, I want to keep the velocity around 2950-3000fps for a 165 Matrix bullets or 170 Berger when they show.

I came to the conclusion that a 14.5 lbs 270 WSM is no good for an every day hunting rifle, the chambering is good the bullets are good the rifle configuration sucks! I had this epiphany while helping my buddy load a super nice dark horned mule deer buck that I had missed at 75 yards while he was chasing does, when I first pulled up the scope was to high and I had to crank it down then I got it back up and kinda tracking on him but no dice I couldn't fallow through and hit him so my buddy pulled up an whacked him. The barrel weight and stock fit are great for shooting prone but that is it, I need a practical hunting rifle with capability from 0-1000 odd yards that handles fast. I have all the parts for a long range 338 setting here so the WSM is going practical!!!

In my mind after the make over the rifle will look like this.

Timed and trued Savage short action.
EGW 20 moa base.
Nightforce ultra lite rings.
Vortex HS LR optic.
Benchmark or Brux #5 in 1-9 twist, 26in long and nitrided.
Muscle or Holland brake.
Manners MCS-T stock with blind mag.
Chambering is going to be based on the 7 SAUM necked to 270 for the 165 Matrix and 170 Berger.
This should handle very well for of hand shots to prone LR shots, timber to canyons. It'll be the rifle a guy grabs every time he heads out because it will get it done and put game down!!!! The big guns can ride in the truck till they are needed for elk or wolves that think they are out of range gun)

Roy, my daughter flipped out when I showed her the parts and explained what they were, she wants to come down and shoot it with you when it's done:D I'm searching out a Rem short action bolt for the action, the barrel rolled right on so I'll true up the lug abutments and receiver face then see what thickness of recoil lug I would need for proper headspace and order one from PTG so I don't have to touch the chamber, she wants a pink laminate stock so I need to find that also. I'll put it together this winter when I'm not living at work :cool: She wants to shoot it right away but she needs a little more time with the open sights and 22lr, but hopefully by next summer she'll come to the shoots with me and tear up the coyote gong with it.
It did kinda put me in a hard spot because my wife was wondering when her rifle was going to be done so she can come shoot also, so I have to keep my eye out for parts to build her a 6.5x47 Lapua, she's mean with a rifle!!!!!

Roy, he's moving into your territory with a "pink" gun! lol

BNG, give me your e-mail and i'll show you the ultimate one gun for everything.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.