First hunt out west/ reasonable price

There are plenty of elk hunting opportunities. There are private ranches that have "captive" herds which virtually guarantees success. You will always have a "hunting experience", the success depends on many factors including your pocketbook. I have hunted elk in Colorado, Idaho, Utah and Montana. Always expensive. Current prices begin around $8K and go up to 3 times that amount (yes, $24K). Much depends on whether you want a large trophy bull (can get a 6x6 for the $8K on private ranches, can go much higher also) but again depends on pocketbook and time willing to spend looking. Happy to answer any questions.

Pennsylvania dude Looking for reccomendations on doing my first hunt out west. Would love to go elk hunting or mule deer. Anybody have a good guide service or outfitter they reccomend. I'm not cheap just would like a really good first hunt. Which state would you guys reccomend? Thanks, Joe
Pennsylvania dude Looking for reccomendations on doing my first hunt out west. Would love to go elk hunting or mule deer. Anybody have a good guide service or outfitter they reccomend. I'm not cheap just would like a really good first hunt. Which state would you guys reccomend? Thanks, Joe
Bear Track Outfitters, Buffalo Wy. Awesome deer and antelope, good elk hunting too.

I would head to the sports show in harrisburg in 2 weeks with the names of these outfitters that are being recommended. Good chance some will be there and talk to them face to face. Like someone else said though use one that others recommended. We got scammed at the sports show from an outfitter in Colorado about 8 years ago, promised the world and was the worst hunt ever.

I would head to the sports show in harrisburg in 2 weeks with the names of these outfitters that are being recommended. Good chance some will be there and talk to them face to face. Like someone else said though use one that others recommended. We got scammed at the sports show from an outfitter in Colorado about 8 years ago, promised the world and was the worst hunt ever.
Unfortunately thats the world we live in, thats why I'm asking for reccomendations for places people actually hunted. Granted nothing is 100% it's hunting not shooting…

Check with Len on Non-Typical Outfitters in Western Wyoming. He can put you in touch with them. Rob Wiley the owner is one of the best.

Last edited:
If are looking at Colorado I suggest Turner guide service. Mark Turner is a great guide as well as a person alot of his Hunters have animals in Colorado record books

Bald Mountain outfitters
Pinedale Wyoming
It's a horseback hunt in the wind river mountains
Worth every penny!!

I did the same thing 4 years ago on a New Mexico elk hunt that was my first and more than likely my last. It's a shame some outfitters don't care how much of your time and money they wasted.

Cody Carr Hunting Adventures in Montana. He has 2 camps now, only one when we hunted there, all free range hunting good elk and mule deer hunting, you can even shoot a white tail if its big enough and they get big out there.