First hunt out west/ reasonable price

I'm not rich but willing to pay for a good experience. Would like to have a good success rate but not super easy willing to hike. I'm 33 and in decent shape. I guess I don't want to waste thousands of dollars and come home empty handed.
On my only guided hunt, with MZ, this was the sign on the refrigerator. After many years of building points, trust me, it sticks in your mind.
fridge sign.jpg

Pennsylvania dude Looking for reccomendations on doing my first hunt out west. Would love to go elk hunting or mule deer. Anybody have a good guide service or outfitter they reccomend. I'm not cheap just would like a really good first hunt. Which state would you guys reccomend? Thanks, Joe
Alberta...😉

Isn't life a bummer? O, wait a minute. The alternative is unacceptable.

Enjoy your hunting.
How do you know what the alternative is? The only thing keeping 1/2 the world from committing suicide is nobody has come back to let the rest of us know how it is! And maybe that's the secret. I hope there's a heaven because it's Hell on Earth more times than not!!

Last edited:
How do you know what the alternative is? They only thing keeping 1/2 the world from committing suicide is nobody has come back to let the rest of us know how it is! And maybe that's the secret. I hope there's a heaven because it's Hell on Earth more times than not!!
That is poetic, I needed to hear that today, my brother just informed us he has stage 3 pancreatic cancer, at best 1 year left. Didn't want to hijack this thread but apparently it was meant for me to see, he to is from Pennsylvania, avid hunter and outdoors man

The UU Bar Ranch offer some world class elk hunting but it is not cheap. While none of the ranchers I know of offer 100% success, I have never heard of any of there hunters that went un-successful. I have hunted the ranch twice and was always finished by noon the first day. The accommodations are world class. It is located in norther N.M. near Cimerron.

That is poetic, I needed to hear that today, my brother just informed us he has stage 3 pancreatic cancer, at best 1 year left. Didn't want to hijack this thread but apparently it was meant for me to see, he to is from Pennsylvania, avid hunter and outdoors man
Very sorry to hear about your brother, my families prayers will be with you....my son was BORN with Brain cancer!

We've hunted w/Papierski big game hunts out of Craig Co. Good success rate but usually not a cake walk. If going for elk I would recommend later in the season. Landowner tags so no worry about drawing a tag. Not a trophy elk hunt but a fun hunt.

I've hunted there as well. Great hunting for sure. We did a trade hunt so cannot say on price. Nice bulls there for sure