First harvest for my new 300...

jskmtd

After taking care of Kaeleigh's buck we headed back to the cabin for some breakfast and a nap. After eating and resting up we headed back to the glassing spot. We started to see deer right away and it wasn't long before Kaeleigh spotted a nice buck. After putting the spotting scope on him we could tell it was the buck we named the cedar buck. The buck was feeding along at a pretty good pace and we didn't think we could close the distance to get Makenlee my 12 year old a shot at him. We ranged the buck at 736 yards and I dialed the scope on my rifle, but by the time I got behind the rifle the buck had moved off again. This happened several times before he stood long enough to get the dope and the scope dialed. Finally at 970 yards the buck stood still. It was -8 degree shot with what a figured as a 3 mph wind. With the shot the buck moved in a circle and my daughters reported a miss which was exactly what I saw in my scope. I chambered another round and at the shot the buck dropped with him kicking and shaking his head. The girls both shouted "dad you killed the cedar buck". About this time the buck laid down with his head on the ground. I cut the distance to 510 yards dialed the scope and put a 215 berger through both shoulders with the buck expiring quickly. After walking up to him he appeared to grow. Upon examining him the first shot hit back and just caught the liver. I'm not proud of my wind call and there were a couple of terrain features I didn't account for.
Thanks for reading,
Jon

Attachments

• IMG_20131010_213022_823.jpg
    IMG_20131010_213022_823.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 121
Great write up. Don't beat yourself up to bad, wind is against us all.

Boy you Idaho guys are sure making it tough on me. Here in Montana we have two more weeks..

Great buck!

Eric

Man the Idaho guys with .300's are killing some nice deer. Lots of folks forget stuff in the presence of bucks like that, and miss from a lot closer. Well done!

Thanks for the kind words guys. The wind can be tough on us at times, but I thought I had it pegged or I would have passed on the shot. So more practice I guess, I just hope berger starts cranking out the 215's, because I only have a few hundred left.
Randy,
I really like the 215's and I am think if I had done my part the buck would not have needed a second shot. I settled on winchester brass with 76 grains of h-1000 federal 215 primers with the 215 bergers seated 0.040 off of the lands. It holds 1/2 moa out to 1200 yards if I do my part.

Jon

Thanks for the kind words guys. The wind can be tough on us at times, but I thought I had it pegged or I would have passed on the shot. So more practice I guess, I just hope berger starts cranking out the 215's, because I only have a few hundred left.
Randy,
I really like the 215's and I am think if I had done my part the buck would not have needed a second shot. I settled on winchester brass with 76 grains of h-1000 federal 215 primers with the 215 bergers seated 0.040 off of the lands. It holds 1/2 moa out to 1200 yards if I do my part.

Jon

Don't be too hard on yourself, sh** happens and sometimes you just don't know and can't explain things. In any case, you had a great time and got a really really nice muley. If you get in a bind for the 215's, call me.

Randy

Randy,
Thanks for the compliment on the deer. I'm really happy with him and very glad I ended up getting him. If I get too low on the 215's I will give you a call.
Thanks again,
Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.