First handloads with 257 WBY MAG

sniperjwt

Here are the first three groups i shot with handloads with my 257 weatherby mag. I posted on here last week my group with factory loads in it was pretty good.

First goup is 71 grains of RL 25 COAL 3.365 This group measured .390
0487cbb8.jpg

Second group is 72 grains of RL 25 group measured 1.8
d1d62b8f.jpg

Third group is 73 grains. group measured 2.2
17fb30f5.jpg

I did not chronograph any of the shots. While waiting on my barrel to cool in between shots i took my daughters 22 Cricket and shot a group freehanded from 20 yards. It has a back peep and is a little difficult to shoot for a full grown person but i was quiet happy with this 3 shot group.
8dbaaad1.jpg

Very nice. did you pull the 3rd shot on group 2? cause 2 that close looks like a potential winner. Good shooting

yea i am going to shoot the 71 grains a couple more times and also try to play around with the 72 and see if it was me or if it will shoot. I would love to get that third one in as close as the first two in the 72 grains but .390 is nothing to shake a stick at eather. :D

Good looking targets, especially the first one.
I think you're on the right track. Slow powders are going to work for you. H1000, RL25, and Retumbo may become your favorites. Mag primers?

Good Shooting

F210's are pretty hot so I don't know if WLRM's or F 215's will help unless in very cold weather. Even my WSM"s with their short fat powder column get a mag primer when hunting in Colorado snow country. My 7mm RM also likes WLRM primers all season long. I picture that long narrow powder column needing more heat to ignite well.

Your first target shows a round group. I have no suggestions how to improve it.

The second target shows 2 shots close together wit one further away. This suggests (to me ) to try a shorter bullet seating, for more bullet jump, say from .004 to .006 to .008" off the lands. Don't know why but this plan has been working for me for years.

Good Shooting

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts