FIRST GUNS by DAN'S CUSTOM GUNS

jett

Earlier this year my good friend Dan Glover (user name "Glover" on LRH) decided he would expand his gunsmithing services to include building custom rifles. Dan is an avid long range shooter and has spent many years behind a lathe building everything from race car engines to parts for nuclear subs. In addition, for as long as I can remember, Dan has worked on all of my guns and most all of my friend's guns. Having complete confidence in Dan's abilities, I jumped at the opportunity to be his first custom gun customer. As you can imagine I am pleased beyond belief w/ the finished products. Not only is the craftsmanship exceptional, but both guns consistently way outperform Dan's 1/2 MOA guarantee. I want to thank Dan for the care and diligence he put into these fine rifles and I am certain he has a busy future ahead of him in his new venture.
Both rifles were chambered in 6x47 Lapua. The tactical rifle will be used for long range whitetail hunting in large eastern NC agricultural fields, coyotes and paper punching. This gun shoots the 115 Bergers extremely accurate out to 1000yds. so far. The mountain rifle will serve as a handy carry rifle and will also serve as a great beginner deer rifle for my kids (4) as the recoil is very mild. This gun shoots the 115s great, but I will soon try the 105 Amaxs. The specs for both guns are as follows:

TACTICAL RIFLE
6x47 Lapua
Stiller Predator Short Action w/ 20 MOA Base, Tactical Knob
Stiller Bottom Metal
Jewell Trigger set at 1.5 lbs.
Brux #15 Standard Palma Fluted 28", 1 in 8 twist
SSG V Port Brake
Mcmillan A5 Stock 50% Grey, 25% White, 25% Black
Nightforce NXS 5.5x22x56 NP-R2
Scope Level
TPS Rings
Harris bipod w/ pod lock

MOUNTAIN RIFLE
6x47 Lapua
Stiller Predator Short Action
Stiller Bottom Metal
Jewell Trigger set at 1.5 lbs.
Brux #3 24", 1 in 8 twist
Mcmillan Mountain Rifle Stock 50% Grey, 25% White, 25% Black
Leupold VX III 6.5x20 w/ M1 turrets and TMR reticle
Scope Level
TPS Rings
Harris bipod w/ pod lock

Pic 1
Dan45.jpg

Pic 2
Dan4.jpg

Pic 3
Dan3.jpg

Pic 4
Dan2.jpg

Pic 5
DSCN0287.jpg

Last edited:
That's a helluva starter rifle for your kids! They'll never want anything but high-end custom for the rest of their lives! :D

Very nice rifles.

Very nice rifles Jett.
There is no doubt that Glover can build a fine shooting stick. As you mentioned, he has spent a bunch of time on the lathe turning really intricate items.
I first met him a few years ago when I built a stock for him. He usually stops by the house when he makes his trip up north every few months. A great guy with a pile of talent.

Guys, thanks very much for the compliments on these guns. I am really proud of them. Both guns are great, but the one you just really don't want to put away is that tactical rifle. It is a pure dream to shoot! I'm running the 115 Bergers around 2950 with great accuracy and absolutely minimal recoil. With the #15 barrel, Nate's V port brake and the A5 Mcmillan stock, it feels sort of like your are shooting a rimfire rifle but with the long range capabilities of a much larger caliber! The 6x47 Lapua cartridge with its accuracy, ease of loading, great brass, minimal recoil, barrel life and versatility (paper punching, varmints, deer) is fast becoming a favorite of mine!

Joel, you are absolutely correct. Dan does have a pile of talent and also a heart of gold. Since my son, John, was 7, Dan has reached out to him and assisted him in all his gunning needs. My son is now 12 and each year "Mr. Dan" has been there adjusting stocks, trigger pulls, adding recoil pads, custom fitting shotguns on the pattern board, etc. Rarely has Dan accepted payment for these services. His response is always that it is something he would like to do for John and he likes seeing young kids in our sport. John now shoots international skeet, which of course required a specially fitted shotgun that "Mr. Dan" did his magic on. When we met Dan at the skeet range to try the reworked stock, Dan pulled out a beautiful Browning hard case and handed it John and told him he wanted him to have it. He told John he had a feeling he would be traveling a lot w/ his new gun and it deserve a nice case. Needless to say there is one young kid in eastern NC that believes "Mr. Dan" walks on water!

Jett, Thanks for the kind words. I do enjoy doing a small part in helping young people into our sport. John has aways seemed very thankfull in anything I have ever done for him. The only thing you have to worry about is with all the coaching,custom guns etc you have given him is he usually out shoots both of us. Most of the time he doesn't rub it in to bad just text all of his friends. Looking forward to a trip to the big house to stretch these toys out.

This was my first time posting pics. I may need some help. On my original post there is a write up with 5 pictures posted vertically one below the other. All of it fit nicely within the margins. At least this is the way it appears on my computer. My friend;however, must scroll left to extreme right to read the writeup and the pics are running horizontally side by side and he must scroll left to way right to begin to see them. Any help would be appreciated. Again it all looks normal on my computer which is a MAC and his is a PC. How does it look on your computer?
Thanks

This was my first time posting pics. I may need some help. On my original post there is a write up with 5 pictures posted vertically one below the other. All of it fit nicely within the margins. At least this is the way it appears on my computer. My friend;however, must scroll left to extreme right to read the writeup and the pics are running horizontally side by side and he must scroll left to way right to begin to see them. Any help would be appreciated. Again it all looks normal on my computer which is a MAC and his is a PC. How does it look on your computer?
Thanks

Pics appear left-to-right on my computer.

When I enter image codes I make sure to put each code on it's own line. So when I type it up, it looks like this....

code[img]

[img]code[img]

This way, images come out like this....

[URL]http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/[/URL]

Thanks Trebark! That seemed to fix it. By the way I really like your 260. That is a well thought out rifle that really came together well. Please post your shooting results. I am sure they will be great.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.