First focal plane scope advice needed

Luckoverskill

I need to get a new scope for my remington 700 30-06. Have been thinking of trying a first focal plane scope. Would like to stay under $500 if possible. Any advice on brands and reticle style would be appreciated. I want this gun to be versatile for close in or long range shots on a variety of game. Thanks.

I think you need to either adjust your budget, or adjust your needs. Quality ffp scopes do not sell for 500 even used

I've had a FFP Falcon for several years. It was on a 7mm Mag for several hundred rounds, a .308 AR for several hundred rounds, and is now on my son's .308 bolt gun. I have dialed the turrets up and down hundreds of times with no issues. So far I've got my $400 worth out of it.

SWFA's SS 3-9 is $599 but would fit the bill nicely and is a really good way to get info FFP as it is tough as nails, has very repeatable turrets and has a pretty decent reticle to boot. On an '06 it is all the power you need for LR shooting IMO.

Also, don't forget a fixed power scope as an options too. You can learn the concepts of FFP but get into a scope for much cheaper. Bushnells 10x and SWFA has a bunch of them.

Also, the used section here and on the hide is a good place to find good used scopes for a great price. You have to be patient but there are some great deals there. Just do me a favor and look at the post counts on some for sale items. I love how guys will have 3 posts and want you to trust them with your money! Most are trustworthy but there are some scams out there and it seems even more here.

HTH,

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.