First focal plain vs second focal plain

Gills

Let's just discuss which is which. And why one is better than the other.

And why one is better than the other

One is not better than the other. All boils down to shooter preferences. A FFP reticle can be difficult to see and acquire the center of the reticle on its lowest power settings.

PRS shooters tend to like FFP cause they shoot under time constraints and don't like to spend time dialing or being concerned with what power the scope is on. This works well for them because they are usually not shooting in low light/contrast conditions. Extreme precise shooting is not usually required as the targets are usually MOA or better.

Hunters often prefer SFP. They are not concerned in fast fire under time constraints AND often shoot in low light/contrast conditions. They usually have time to dial a solution (which can be more accurate at longer distances). Also, a SFP reticle is much easier to use in low light at close range, think deep woods in late evening.

Then again, for a hunter shooting running varmints at distance, a FFP would fit the circumstance better.

Really just depends on the type of shots you most often encounter.

Like the others said, TONS of opinions on topic can be found under with a quick search

I have to disagree with the low power hard to see statements, it's definitely scope/reticle dependent. The leupold mk5hd ffp with pr1-moa reticle is clearly visible for duplex style use at lowest power in the 5-25x56 and 3.6-18x44, I have both. I personally like the 5-25 more as it's a little finer reticle than the illuminated 3.6-18x44. Also have a March 3-24x42 ffp and the reticle looks like a fine duplex @ 3x, and once you get up to 8x you can start using hold overs. Now my nx8 4-32x50 and Burris xtr3 3.3-18x50 they both are a bit hard to see at lowest mag, however the NF is illuminated and that helps. I've slowly been weeding out my sfp scopes, the only ones I have still mounted on rifles are a leupold vx6hd 3-18x44, and a swaro x5i 3.5-18x50, I wish the swaro was ffp I would own many as the glass is outstanding.

I don't understand the craze about FFP. I have a Burris XTR II that I absolutely hate. Hope to get it sold & replace it with a Leupold. FFP is useless in my world.

I reckon it's because you don't know how to use it, the reticle alone or why ffp mag and reticles compliment each other. I also reckon you dial and shoot and just wildly guess you wind hold. I ALSO reckon because you don't actually shoot long range (past 600y) for it to matter.

i only say all this because if the opposite were true, then it would mean you were using the reticle as a ruler, and logic would have it if you did that, you wouldn't have posted this post.

Last edited:
I was a sfp dude when I first bought one, one of the issues is that the hash lines only work on 1 setting or whatever power you choose to use when acquiring a target at X distance...

This was fine and dandy when I was at the shooting range,,, not so much in the feild when the critters show up in a seconds notice...

And yes the ffp retrical is small in the lower powers which makes it tricky seeing the lines,,, the trick to this is picking up the ffp reticle with illumination so you can adjust the light amplification depending on the lighting conditions out side...

Max illumination in full day light,,, click it the other way for the least at dark,,, 10 to 12 settings so you don't get to much retrical light feed back... Ha...

I'm a ffp optic shooter now,,, super fast target acquisition at the range and hunting...

Its all personal preference,,, either you like ffp or sfp...

Here's a simple link,,, check out a few to see what you like...

The illumination ffp retricals works for me,,, all I need to know is that line X is always for this distance,,, XXY is that range,,, one less thing to think about when things are happening fast...

If your interested in PRS,,, it might be worth your while going ffp since ranging targets is a lot of work especially if you need to dope the target then check the optic power to calculate which line is for what distance...

Its to much for me when I can use ffp and know that each ranging line is for this or that distance...

And again,,, take the time to check out the light-up reticle system,,, set on bright in the day light,,, crank it down in the dark evening skies,,, once you practic with them,,, you won't own anything but...

Only you will get to decide which system you want...

I was a sfp dude when I first bought one, one of the issues is that the hash lines only work on 1 setting or whatever power you choose to use when acquiring a target at X distance...

This was fine and dandy when I was at the shooting range,,, not so much in the feild when the critters show up in a seconds notice...

And yes the ffp retrical is small in the lower powers which makes it tricky seeing the lines,,, the trick to this is picking up the ffp reticle with illumination so you can adjust the light amplification depending on the lighting conditions out side...

Max illumination in full day light,,, click it the other way for the least at dark,,, 10 to 12 settings so you don't get to much retrical light feed back... Ha...

I'm a ffp optic shooter now,,, super fast target acquisition at the range and hunting...

Its all personal preference,,, either you like ffp or sfp...

Here's a simple link,,, check out a few to see what you like...

The illumination ffp retricals works for me,,, all I need to know is that line X is always for this distance,,, XXY is that range,,, one less thing to think about when things are happening fast...

If your interested in PRS,,, it might be worth your while going ffp since ranging targets is a lot of work especially if you need to dope the target then check the optic power to calculate which line is for what distance...

Its to much for me when I can use ffp and know that each ranging line is for this or that distance...

And again,,, take the time to check out the light-up reticle system,,, set on bright in the day light,,, crank it down in the dark evening skies,,, once you practic with them,,, you won't own anything but...

Only you will get to decide which system you want...

Agreed! 6 of the last 8 scope purchases are FFPs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.