First experience...

Dachs

I tried out my Sauer 202 Euro on a 300 meter range. Tought of you guys when I tried to punch some holes in the paper... I did not use bench - but I simulated any possible hunting situation I may encounter. OK... an moose would drop dead. Roedeer would live dangerously, and fox would laugh at me.

I suck... As is I would set 200 meters as max range to be sure I´ll hit deadly at any game.

Anybody posted some footage here of weapons, equipments etc?

Dachs

Good practice and education for you. Most of the shooters here practice regularly to long ranges and we use some type of support.

Here's my info on a "challenge" shoot I did last Fall. The rules were to shoot like we would hunt, so no practice beforehand. There are pictures of targets and equipment. (Not my best ever shooting but it was a fun contest.)
http://www.the-king-family.com/UserPages/DaveKing/DaveKingPostalTargets.html

Nice site dave. I was not impressed by your shots, and I tought I did quite good my self - until I saw the size comparison picture .. damm... now I´m impressed.

The range photo really scared me...
smile.gif

I still suck...

[ 03-24-2003: Message edited by: Dachs ]

Dachs

Thanks (I think
wink.gif
)!

He's a pretty big cat! (But everyone can tell he's much smaller than a deer.)

These example longer range shots were on a less than optimal day but I had driven about 150 miles to shoot so the shoot went on. The 650 yard shots would not have been taken for hunting as the wind was not too good.

I believe many of the folks here will tell you that after a few years practice and considerable familiarity with a rifle and load a 500 yard shot on a Whitetail deer is just about a "chip shot". It's like everything else we humans learn...at first it's "I'll never be able to do that!" and after a while that same person is far beyond anything they previously expected.

Try using a bipod or shoot over your day-pack if you're not using a support for long(er) range.

No worries Dach! I suck too! Hey Dave, what the heck you been feeding that cat?
ps-Nice Rock Dave, M1's on a couple of those rifles?

[ 03-25-2003: Message edited by: littletoes ]

LittleToes

He is a rather large cat, he eats the same stuff I do! You did see my picture in that set didn't you?

The targets don't do the difficulty and resultant group size justice (IMHO)
smile.gif
. The white center is 4 inches across, from the "X" to the edge of the white center is 2 inches. 11 of the 18 rounds are withing 4" of point-of-aim. Of the 6 groups, here are the group sizes; .46 MOA, .62 MOA, .92MOA, .96 MOA, 1.0 MOA and 1.2 MOA. Of these same 6 groups here are the POA to POI error (in group MOA order); .57 MOA, 1.02 MOA, 1.2 MOA, .72 MOA, .44 MOA and .70 MOA.

In a nutshell, with the big game rifles (308 Win and 338 Rum), I had one (1) round out of 18 that exceed my 2 MOA rule-of-thumb. Overall result (IHMO) = dead deer.

I figure a 1 MOA group size and a 1 MOA buffer. So for a critter with a 12 inch kill zone I'm limited to 600 yards. One (1) MOA for group size (6") and one MOA for buffer (another 6"). This gives me a 12 inch circle and a max 6" linear error in Point-of-Aim to Point-of-Impact.

I have all Vari-X III M1 LR, just ordered a NXS 5.5 x 22 for my newest Gardner rifle. Also have a Nikon tactical and will order another soon.

Chat again later.

/r

Dachs,

For hunting fox, I many times will use a Harris 27" bipod on my rifle. It's the perfect height for shooting from a sitting position, and holds almost as steady as a bench.

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.