first elk long shot

sodwyer

Finnaly after five years of hunting dutch creek I got my first elk. 7:45 pm on the second day a lone bull steped out to graze. with light fadeing quick no time to stock I ranged the bull at 568 yards doped the wind NIL then checked my chart 560y= 10.2 MOA diled my VXIII 6x5x20x50 (BOOM) the 190 VLD flies true and the elk planted with a high sholder hit Yah hoo

I shoot a weatherby mark 5 chambered in 300 win mag 24" tube useing 69gn Imr 4831 @2866fps. Glass is VXIII 6.5x20.50 long range with 7/8 target turrets. The 190 VLD worked just like on TV. animal dumped in its tracks with the high sholder shot. however my gun has a short mag and the VLD is .155 off the lands it stacks at 100y but at 600y = 8" group I am looking for better accuracy thinking about the 200 accubond and some RE22 or H1000 any suggestions thanks Steve

I shoot a weatherby mark 5 chambered in 300 win mag 24" tube useing 69gn Imr 4831 @2866fps. Glass is VXIII 6.5x20.50 long range with 7/8 target turrets. The 190 VLD worked just like on TV. animal dumped in its tracks with the high sholder shot. however my gun has a short mag and the VLD is .155 off the lands it stacks at 100y but at 600y = 8" group I am looking for better accuracy thinking about the 200 accubond and some RE22 or H1000 any suggestions thanks Steve

I would consider going to a longer WBY mag box, 210 Bergers and H-1000. But I am not sure why you are getting the por groups at 600 with your current load. Maybe a powder change alone would shed light.

Anyway, great job and congrats again on that bull and a well placed shot.

Jeff

Congrats on the Elk.

Now that the hard part is done work on the load! I shoot the 185 but have been thinking about the 210.

Bergers are so easy to load for its nuts! Try the H1000 its the best powder for the 300 win mag in my opnion. You need to load test at 200 yards min to assure the bullet has time to stabalize.

Shoot a seating depth test here are the lengths off the lands. Load 6 rounds at each length and test at 200 yards. Its a 24 round test.

Hey Broz do you know if there is a longer mag box avaible for the mark 5? I contacted weatherby and the indicated that the magnum mag boxes were all the same length. that doesn't sound right to me. I would love to stay with the VLD but I think they are just to sensitive to seating depth.

Congrats on a great hunt! Those steaks will be sooo good on your grill after 5 years of 'seasoning'!!!

As to your reloads.... I had a .300 Win that loved the 190gr SMK pushed by 71.3grns of RE22, sparked by Win MAG primers, and housed in Win brass. Unfortunately, RE22 doesn't hold a reputation for good consistency in wide temperature variations.

Performance-wise for this load/barrel was pretty good. Groups 1-holed regularly and i'd measured .24" as an avg. after final load development. However, each barrel likes different recipes.... mine didn't care for H1000 though i've seen it work well in other barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.