First elk hunt. Leaning toward Tikka

A superlite in a magnum is going to kick like a mule. My buddy uses a 7mm08 for everything from elk to black bears. He shot his elk last year with his Tikka Superlite 7mm08 at 476 yards.

With a Limbsaver or other newer design recoil pad, it'll jump, not kick. No brake needed.

Buy the new rifle! There's an old saying: we don't regret the things we do we regret the things we don't do. If you don't buy the new rifle now when you have a chance you'll regret it.
Johnny

This is my first reply as a member, so be gentle... I've taken elk with three different calibers: 300wm; 30-06 and 6.5x284. The 6.5 is my favorite by far, but it's a combo of lower recoil, better optics and hand loads. If you want a new rifle, do it! I'm not going to dissuade you at all. That process is awesome. But with the right bullets (I love the Berger VLD Classic Hunters) and the optics, I truly believe your 30-06 will get the job done. Last thought: I'm not a fan of "super light" rifles and magnum cartridges. Not enjoyable to sight in and too hard to re-acquire target for a follow up shot. Just my experience. Good luck!
Agree 100%

The key to hunting success starts with a positive attitude. Complete confidence in all your hunting gear. 100% ONE with your RIFLE! That requires extensive dry firing, trigger time, range time, and what you carry complements your shooting accuracy. The 06 is more than adequate. 168 grain copper bullets give you great balance between velocity, energy and trajectory. Wind drift, down/up angles and terrain are issues you must deal with. Mental and physical conditioning are critical. If you want a new rifle go for it. However a guided hunt and the tip at the end of the hunt are expected successful or not. If you don't reload than you have to buy ammo to test to insure your zero and holdover. I develop my own loads and creat a dope card. I shoot weekly from 25yds out to 1000. I shoot in desert and mountain terrain. I wear a 45lb backpack, carry a primos bipod, binoculars, rangefinder and spotting scope. Load development is time consuming and $$$$. Hunting season for most rifle hunts start late September. Thru November. Not much time to screw around with a new rifle. Rifles I use are 6.5 Grendel 120 GMX, 7-08 140TTSX, 30-06 168 TTSX and 300WM 200 LRX. For years I shot the 168 TTSX in the 300. Prefer the heavier bullet because it stable at long range and less wind drift with lots of punch. 30-06 w/168 to 500yds on elk is a dead elk. Bullet placement 1/3rd up from brisket behind the elbow and it will blow the heart away.

One thing to be aware of if you buy a Tikka in 7mm Rem or 300WM and hand load, is that the relatively short magazine length really limits COAL, unless you want to single feed any of the heavy for calibre projectiles. They are fine for factory ammo but the real potential comes from hand loads loaded longer than SAMMI spec. I have a Tikka 270 running 140gr Sierra gamechangers @3000fps and a Sako 85 300WM shooting 210gr bergers @2900fps, both >0.25MOA with hand loads. For the magnum I went with the Sako for the longer magazine. It sounds like your 30-06 is more than adequate if you pair it with the right projectile for the job and spend the time at the range, however, if you want a magnum go for it. Just beware of the Tikka mag length and slow twist rate before you buy.

2021. Montana elk and mule deer combo. I don't own a magnum. I figured I'd take my 30-06 with 168gr Nosler Accubond and limit my shots to 400 yards.

A call to the outfitter this week may have changed my mind. He's pushing the 300wm as his go to and the 7mm RM as a second choice. Now don't get me wrong, I've wanted a magnum for years now and I am leaning toward the 7mm (always wanted one).

I want a Tikka T3x Superlite. I've read that the slower twist rate could be problematic for the 175 grain loads. Can anyone help confirm or deny this?

Outfitter says the average shot is under 300 yards but a 400-500 yard shot (Or longer) is not uncommon. I want to keep this rig light without breaking the bank. I'm not aware of another rifle that is under 6.5 pounds (regular t3x is my second choice but the same slower twist) and under a grand.
. 338WM with 225 partitions ! My go to elk load. Never failed.

2021. Montana elk and mule deer combo. I don't own a magnum. I figured I'd take my 30-06 with 168gr Nosler Accubond and limit my shots to 400 yards.

A call to the outfitter this week may have changed my mind. He's pushing the 300wm as his go to and the 7mm RM as a second choice. Now don't get me wrong, I've wanted a magnum for years now and I am leaning toward the 7mm (always wanted one).

I want a Tikka T3x Superlite. I've read that the slower twist rate could be problematic for the 175 grain loads. Can anyone help confirm or deny this?

Outfitter says the average shot is under 300 yards but a 400-500 yard shot (Or longer) is not uncommon. I want to keep this rig light without breaking the bank. I'm not aware of another rifle that is under 6.5 pounds (regular t3x is my second choice but the same slower twist) and under a grand.
I'm not an '06 fan but I don't see where you will have any problems, it's worked for over 100 years

As you can see, there are plenty of varying recommendations and experiences. The .300 WM remains my go-to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards.

Since you mentioned you've always wanted a magnum, pick one and go for it. The slower twist can be problematic only for heavier bullets that require a faster twist rate. My SAKO M995 in .300 WM has 1:11" but harvested MT bull elk at 931 yards with 190 Berger VLD. Also, not sure where in MT you are hunting but altitude is your friend when it comes to bullet stabilization.

Whatever you decide, the good thing is you have plenty of time to prepare for it and you can always bring the venerable -06 for back up.

Good luck!

One thing to be aware of if you buy a Tikka in 7mm Rem or 300WM and hand load, is that the relatively short magazine length really limits COAL, unless you want to single feed any of the heavy for calibre projectiles. They are fine for factory ammo but the real potential comes from hand loads loaded longer than SAMMI spec. I have a Tikka 270 running 140gr Sierra gamechangers @3000fps and a Sako 85 300WM shooting 210gr bergers @2900fps, both >0.25MOA with hand loads. For the magnum I went with the Sako for the longer magazine. It sounds like your 30-06 is more than adequate if you pair it with the right projectile for the job and spend the time at the range, however, if you want a magnum go for it. Just beware of the Tikka mag length and slow twist rate before you buy.
I ended up putting a deposit on the Tikka. It'll be here in 10-14 days. If I can get close to Nosler load data with the 175 AB LR and the bullet stabilizes, I'm okay with Saami OAL.

and if you are going 300WM, I would recommend a good look at the 300 WSM- which in looking at the Sako catalog has several nice options.
Happy Hunting! - in both endeavors.

How old are you ?
Are you in shape to handle the altitude ?
When was your last comprehensive physical ?
FYI a 3 state (ID, MT, WY) study determined the average Elk kill was under 150 yards.
In my outfitted hunts (ID and WY) my longest shot on Elk was 200 yards.
If you are comfortable with your 30-06 and it shoot MOA, you don't need a new rifle.
Spend your money on a better scope, good boots/clothes and horseback lessons.
For myself, I'd never hire an outfitter who could not get me within 300 yards of any big game animal.
This forum is dedicated to long range hunting. You should consider that when seeking advice.