First elk hunt. Leaning toward Tikka

2021. Montana elk and mule deer combo. I don't own a magnum. I figured I'd take my 30-06 with 168gr Nosler Accubond and limit my shots to 400 yards.

A call to the outfitter this week may have changed my mind. He's pushing the 300wm as his go to and the 7mm RM as a second choice. Now don't get me wrong, I've wanted a magnum for years now and I am leaning toward the 7mm (always wanted one).

I want a Tikka T3x Superlite. I've read that the slower twist rate could be problematic for the 175 grain loads. Can anyone help confirm or deny this?

Outfitter says the average shot is under 300 yards but a 400-500 yard shot (Or longer) is not uncommon. I want to keep this rig light without breaking the bank. I'm not aware of another rifle that is under 6.5 pounds (regular t3x is my second choice but the same slower twist) and under a grand.
7mm are great for longer across canyon shots tikkas are great 6.3 lbs add scope all less than 8lbs with talley mounts

Love the old .06 - but last year I saw a used Weatherby Mark V- in 300. Win Mag in a gun store ($745 - looked very clean, smooth action/bore, and had a Leopold scope base - and muzzle break- w/ a Stainless barrel even) - in my ole home town in Oregon - so bought it. Been too busy to travel the hour to a range that has long targets - and dang - my local gun store here in SD had the Tikka T3X Lite on sale (bought one in 6.5 Creedmoor - $550) - and I am waiting to get the clearance - and then will go shoot all the rifles. :)

I echo the guys who say - if you can shoot the .06 - it will do the job out to say 400 yards - but the Tikkas are sweet.

If you are comfortable with ur 06 - Take it - a Rifle that is the extension of U that U know how it will behave provides a level of assurance and ease that ends up being second nature and from my perspective the best way to go —-
now if U truly want a 7mm. Think 🤔 280 AI; after all U have its "Mother" and with proper loading can have virtually the same performance as 7mmMag. with less powder & Kick !!!
And all the Best Luck !!!!

Having guided elk hunters for many years, I recommend you take your 30-06 and don't worry. Shoot it all Summer to get confidence at different ranges. What binoculars do you own? If you don't have top of the line glass, that is where you need to upgrade. Buy 10x42 Sarorvski, Leica, or Zeiss . Having good glass will make your trip much more enjoyable and easy on your eyes. Also the same type of optics on you rifle will be worth it. Enjoy your hunt and good luck.
I agree 100 0/0...spend your money an good optics. That's going to cost you more than the new rifle. Nightforce scope or Leupold...hard to beat !

The 30-06 would work just fine, when combined with a good bullet. if your looking at a 300WM there is no reason to shoot a 175 class bullet, go with the 190 to 205/210 weight. It will be the down range energy needed for elk on the longer shots.

I'll be taking a 30-06 when I go. This is the load I'll be taking. Gun is a model 70 with a 22 inch barrel. 5$ says if you asked the outfitter what load he uses it's gonna be some flatbase load with less energy at 500 than my 06 😂

Attachments

• 078389BC-02E7-4325-8118-C42CD5C0A52E.png
    078389BC-02E7-4325-8118-C42CD5C0A52E.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 212
2021. Montana elk and mule deer combo. I don't own a magnum. I figured I'd take my 30-06 with 168gr Nosler Accubond and limit my shots to 400 yards.

A call to the outfitter this week may have changed my mind. He's pushing the 300wm as his go to and the 7mm RM as a second choice. Now don't get me wrong, I've wanted a magnum for years now and I am leaning toward the 7mm (always wanted one).

I want a Tikka T3x Superlite. I've read that the slower twist rate could be problematic for the 175 grain loads. Can anyone help confirm or deny this?

Outfitter says the average shot is under 300 yards but a 400-500 yard shot (Or longer) is not uncommon. I want to keep this rig light without breaking the bank. I'm not aware of another rifle that is under 6.5 pounds (regular t3x is my second choice but the same slower twist) and under a grand.
What to do? Be aware that the long range accubond is a soft bullet. I would use the partition myself. As for your 7mm. Load 175 nosler partitions over us869 powder. A 10 twist will stabilize that bullet and with a bc of 519 it will shoot as far as you need to. Get to pressure with us869 you will get between 2900 and 3000 fps. Enough

Not that is applies in this case, but I'll never understand the "go buy a big magnum" speech from outfitters. If this is a person who has any business taking 500 yard shots at game, they probably already have a big magnum if they think they need it (or if they just want it, which is also valid). More often than not, they are taking a person who may be capable of making reliable shots at 2-300 (hopefully) with their 30-06/270/7-08 etc And convincing them to buy a lightweight mountain rifle in a big heavy hitter. Now that same person has a new flinch, or just a rifle they don't shoot very well, and now have an effective accurate range of 150 yards, but think they are ready for 500. Any outfitter making recommendations based on "possible 5-600 yard shots" better be watching that hunter ring some vitals sized steel at those ranges from field positions.

This is my first reply as a member, so be gentle... I've taken elk with three different calibers: 300wm; 30-06 and 6.5x284. The 6.5 is my favorite by far, but it's a combo of lower recoil, better optics and hand loads. If you want a new rifle, do it! I'm not going to dissuade you at all. That process is awesome. But with the right bullets (I love the Berger VLD Classic Hunters) and the optics, I truly believe your 30-06 will get the job done. Last thought: I'm not a fan of "super light" rifles and magnum cartridges. Not enjoyable to sight in and too hard to re-acquire target for a follow up shot. Just my experience. Good luck!

Another vote for the 06 in part because it will definitely do the job and in part because you may find a 6.5-pound magnum not easy to shoot well.

The problem is not recoil. You won't notice that in the heat of the moment. The problem is the recoil occurs while the bullet is still in the barrel and if you aren't locked down on the rifle, the bullet will hit up to 2 moa high. At 500 yards that's the difference between a dead elk and a miss or worse a wounded elk.