First elk hunt. Leaning toward Tikka

If loaded and built right an 06 can kill you a lot further than 400yds. I wouldn't hestitate at 600 yd with an accurate one. Only reason to get a mag is because you want to and that is a good reason. Tikka is a good choice for a light weight factory gun

The best rifle is always the one you can hit where your aiming.

The Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag is a great gun. The recoil is not bad either. If you are worried about it they now come with muzzle brakes. I use 160 gr accubonds and 168 gr Bergers. Both do the job well. I prefer the accubonds over the bergers. In regards to stabilizing the 175 gr bullet I do not know. Never needed to go there as the 160gr class bullet works so well. As others have said the 30-06 would work fine. Practice is more important than a gun change.

Seems like going to wrong direction to get a new gun to shoot a smaller diameter bullet in a heavier weight than you do in 30-06. If hunting elk at 400 was my goal 30-06 would probably be on the short list, but I get the allure of getting a shiny new gun. I hope any outfitter who plans to set you up to shoot 400+ intends to take you to a range on the way to the hunt to make sure you have the skills and equipment dialed in to connect. I bet a lot more elk get missed than hit at that distance in MT.

Sounds like a great excuse for a new rifle. Any of the calibers mentioned will kill your elk. I would spend that much money on components, cleaning patches, and possibly a good trigger. Then try to shoot 100 rounds a month from all different positions. Get in the best shape of your life and enjoy the best hunt of your life.
I also have a savage 116 in 30-06 that I rarely ever use. Never shot anything with it. Another option would be to swap out the bolt face and screw a new custom barrel on it. I bought it with the intention of doing a barrel swap some day

The lightweight stock options really start to open up when you consider the remington 700. New bare actions aren't bad priced. I could probably go all in with a new Remage barrel. Maybe 7mm-300 winchester or 7mm Weatherby...

I reload everything so I can practice a lot.

Having guided elk hunters for many years, I recommend you take your 30-06 and don't worry. Shoot it all Summer to get confidence at different ranges. What binoculars do you own? If you don't have top of the line glass, that is where you need to upgrade. Buy 10x42 Sarorvski, Leica, or Zeiss . Having good glass will make your trip much more enjoyable and easy on your eyes. Also the same type of optics on you rifle will be worth it. Enjoy your hunt and good luck.

2021. Montana elk and mule deer combo. I don't own a magnum. I figured I'd take my 30-06 with 168gr Nosler Accubond and limit my shots to 400 yards.

A call to the outfitter this week may have changed my mind. He's pushing the 300wm as his go to and the 7mm RM as a second choice. Now don't get me wrong, I've wanted a magnum for years now and I am leaning toward the 7mm (always wanted one).

I want a Tikka T3x Superlite. I've read that the slower twist rate could be problematic for the 175 grain loads. Can anyone help confirm or deny this?

Outfitter says the average shot is under 300 yards but a 400-500 yard shot (Or longer) is not uncommon. I want to keep this rig light without breaking the bank. I'm not aware of another rifle that is under 6.5 pounds (regular t3x is my second choice but the same slower twist) and under a grand.
I would take the 30/06, it'll work fine.

I know there are a ton of Tikka lovers on this forum (and likely for good reason) but personally, I feel my Browning X-Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag is probably just as good. 160gr Accubonds moving around 3,000 will be good to 550-600+

Sounds to me like your outfitter may have had some bad experience with hunters that can't successfully place a bullet where it needs to be to produce a clean kill. This is likely why they are pushing their clients to use more gun than is necessary. Also concerning is that they do not feel they can get a client closer than that for a good shot...but that's a different subject.

No reason why your .06 wouldn't be able to kill elk out to 400yds or more if you do your part.