First elk hunt. Leaning toward Tikka

adiredneck

2021. Montana elk and mule deer combo. I don't own a magnum. I figured I'd take my 30-06 with 168gr Nosler Accubond and limit my shots to 400 yards.

A call to the outfitter this week may have changed my mind. He's pushing the 300wm as his go to and the 7mm RM as a second choice. Now don't get me wrong, I've wanted a magnum for years now and I am leaning toward the 7mm (always wanted one).

I want a Tikka T3x Superlite. I've read that the slower twist rate could be problematic for the 175 grain loads. Can anyone help confirm or deny this?

Outfitter says the average shot is under 300 yards but a 400-500 yard shot (Or longer) is not uncommon. I want to keep this rig light without breaking the bank. I'm not aware of another rifle that is under 6.5 pounds (regular t3x is my second choice but the same slower twist) and under a grand.

Tikkas website shows the twist rate as a 1:9.5, atleast if I am seeing the one you're wanting. Hornady shows that you need a 1:8.5 so I would say it's unlikely it will stabilize a 175.
AED22C25-A952-49FB-89B6-2363E9801F03.jpeg

I'm going to Colorado this fall. Checking and researching, I am taking my 30-06 with a Barnes 168 grain TTSX. There are all sorts of comments out there, non mag, mag. For me, I'm going with 30-06. It will do the job as long as the shooter does his/her job.
I have lived in elk country for most my life, I have seen elk taken with a lot of different calibers and cartridges. I agree with what you stated above I would only add just to know the limits of your particular combo.

I've hunted successfully with a 30-06 elk for years . My go to bullet has been a 165 PSP Remington Core-lokt bullet in 30-06 for more than 50 years. I've been shooting a Tikka T3 lite for over a decade now and before that was a Savage 110. In my experience you don't need a .300 magnum unless you plan to shoot very very very far, whereas with the 30-06 you can shoot very very far and get the job done. I personally would recommend 165 to 168 grainer as it has a lot of power down range. A Remington 165 grain accutip bullet is still traveling a little over 1700 fps and delivering over 1000 pounds of energy at 600 yards. For me personally at my age now, I don't want to have to walk that far to retrieve and elk and than lug all the meat back.

I just loaded up some 162 Eldx for a friend for his 7mm Rem mag 1:9.5 tikka and Every powder charge shot sub 1" at 100 yds. Used H1000 fed 215M and Hornady brass loaded to Hornady book length of 3.290 Coal. Max load of 68.5 shot 1/2" easily. If you don't reload the Hornady precision hunters might be a good choice. I think Tikka is a heck of a rifle and the few I've shot have all been accurate as well.

2021. Montana elk and mule deer combo. I don't own a magnum. I figured I'd take my 30-06 with 168gr Nosler Accubond and limit my shots to 400 yards.

A call to the outfitter this week may have changed my mind. He's pushing the 300wm as his go to and the 7mm RM as a second choice. Now don't get me wrong, I've wanted a magnum for years now and I am leaning toward the 7mm (always wanted one).

I want a Tikka T3x Superlite. I've read that the slower twist rate could be problematic for the 175 grain loads. Can anyone help confirm or deny this?

Outfitter says the average shot is under 300 yards but a 400-500 yard shot (Or longer) is not uncommon. I want to keep this rig light without breaking the bank. I'm not aware of another rifle that is under 6.5 pounds (regular t3x is my second choice but the same slower twist) and under a grand.
A superlite in a magnum is going to kick like a mule. My buddy uses a 7mm08 for everything from elk to black bears. He shot his elk last year with his Tikka Superlite 7mm08 at 476 yards.

A superlite in a magnum is going to kick like a mule. My buddy uses a 7mm08 for everything from elk to black bears. He shot his elk last year with his Tikka Superlite 7mm08 at 476 yards.

My current go to rifle is a savage 111 lightweight hunter in 30-06 and I even with stout loads it's not a problem.

30-06 Is a great gun for under say 450 yards. I've shot that gun at elk for 30 years.
any 165-180 good bonded bullet will serve u well. At that range shoot the one that you feel best and most comfortable.
personally if I shoot past 400 yards then Id grab his big brother the 300wm with 180 to 215 grain bullet.
just My 2 cents.
with that, it's hard to beat the ol 06 In capable hands.

Last edited:
If you can shoot you 06 you will be just fine . Outfitters see people from all over the country who never shoot their weapon and can't shoot . Never exposed to long range ,wind and just can't shoot. I went on a elk hunt in an area that I had hunted before and thought I needed someone to help get a elk packed out of a canyon, so I hired a guy in a outfitters family they all laughed at our 7mm rem mag. 30 min after daylight I shot a 6x6 running at about 150 yds (enough said the outfitter said we don't shoot at running elk and I said he is dead ) I grew up hunting deer with dogs it was a easy shot for me , right behind the shoulder hunt over