First elk hunt. Leaning toward Tikka

Personally,I would use the 30-06 and get a new guide.A good guide can get you close enough that you don`t need a magnum.I did a lot of DYI hunts in Montana and my 270 Win did the number on everything including a reservation buff hunt.Any guide or outfitter that gave me those calibers and yardages is either a rookie or is making excuses for you not getting an animal.Hunts like those are called Wilderness Experiences.

Get a 708 or 6.5 creed and a pallet of ammo with bergers or elds, with a nightforce nxs 2-10x42 on a bulletproof rail and rings and try to shoot the barrel out before your hunt. If it's only to 500 yards then that's all you need and less is so much more. Missing vitals so so hard does zero good.

You'll shoot it way more and way better than a 300 win mag tikka. Now if we are talking 1000 yards then that's different.
If you must do a mag, I'd do a 300 wsm in a Tikka. The short magazine limits the win mag badly. 300 win mag can still work with 180 - some 200 grain bullets, but I hate limits.
The new tikkas 30 magnums are 1-10 twist I believe.

Recent Posts