First Elk Hunt...Dissapointing

Lots of good recommendations here. A lot of it is planning... don't know how much research you did before hand but you probably should have had a good idea what it would to be like with the right questions..Some one earlier mentioned "welcome to a guided hunt" well that statement in BS...I have been on guided hunts that I was rubbing butt cream between my chafed legs on day 2...it is also hunting--I have killed my animal on day one, and have struggled to get an animal on day 12--so don't look down on good luck. I know lots of folks come in with unrealistic expectations on hunts--thinking it's going to be like hunting in 1900s--or they want that experience but don't want to pay the price for access to the area...in the end I hope your next elk hunt is up to your expectations, it's a lot of fun--and can be a lot of work...I'm starting to prefer less work! :)

Last edited:
yeah unfortunately if you haven't done it before, hard to even know the questions to ask so that you get what you want. my one buddy would've liked your hunt, he's more into killing than hunting. not saying all of us don't want to be successful, but having a little 'chase' makes the kill more satisfying, at least to me.

i'm planning my first elk hunt this fall (rifle), DIY, and hopefully will learn from the school of not-too-terribly-hard knocks. i don't want to jump out of the truck and shoot one but also don't want to have to hike in 10 miles and several thousand vert feet to shoot one either.

yeah unfortunately if you haven't done it before, hard to even know the questions to ask so that you get what you want. my one buddy would've liked your hunt, he's more into killing than hunting. not saying all of us don't want to be successful, but having a little 'chase' makes the kill more satisfying, at least to me.

i'm planning my first elk hunt this fall (rifle), DIY, and hopefully will learn from the school of not-too-terribly-hard knocks. i don't want to jump out of the truck and shoot one but also don't want to have to hike in 10 miles and several thousand vert feet to shoot one either.
Every once in a great while I get to jump out of the truck and shoot one. I consider it pay off for all the times that I hiked 10 miles in and several thousand feet of elevation gain without success. I do prefer to put in the effort. Seems the harder the hunt the better the meat tastes. Even if it isn't very good.

Steve

Please help. Just got back from my first elk hunt. I was hoping for something challenging and adventurous and a chance to hike around and see the countryside, not to mention learn about elk hunting. What I got was basically a canned hunt and I'm not happy. It was a New Mexico private land owner tag. Scouting consisted of driving around with the guide looking for elk from the highway.
I know elk hunting should be so much more than this and feel like I was a bit misled when I booked the hunt. I grew up backpacking the west and want that kind of experience. So for all you experienced elk hunters out there, how do I make that happen?

How? Don't hunt with a guide.

I hunt at a friend's place in Montana. Been out 6 times now and have not gotten a shot. My buddies all have :(.... We missed going out last year due to the heavy snow fall, but still can't wait to go this fall. Keep the faith and look for another outfitter or location.

I hunt at a friend's place in Montana. Been out 6 times now and have not gotten a shot. My buddies all have :(.... We missed going out last year due to the heavy snow fall, but still can't wait to go this fall. Keep the faith and look for another outfitter or location.
It's not the hunting....it's who you go with. Right?

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.