First Elk Hunt - bullet of choice for 6.5 PRC

I killed two raghorn 5x5's last year (one in Wyoming and one in Colorado) with my 6.5 GAP 4S, 150 and 250 yards, 156 Berger at 2850, hits hard and shoots great!

I just shot a nice Bull Elk in Northern Saskatchewan last week.
425 yards, quartering towards me very slightly.
My 8mm Mag with the 220 A-Frame thumped him good. Exit
was 1½" in diameter and the lungs were soup. That is dependability
with minimum meat losses.
That would be # 42 Elk, and no lost animal yet, but I generally limit
my shots to 500 yards or so. D.

Last years Elk was a big cow at 355 yards. 6.5x55AI, driving the 142 LRAB at just shy of 3000.
Recovered bullet with section of the core intact was found under hide on the opposite side.
This bullet actually penetrated the edge of the scapula on the on side before turning the lungs
to soup. She was DRT. D.

5D4ECFB5-F460-4D93-AF90-2F8BDC9516D4.jpeg
Respectfully, extended range wasn't what he had in mind...

That's not to say anything 'bad' about the Bergers you are advocating. They are a fine bullet for longer range shots due to their high BC and ability to expand at low velocities. But they are not a controlled expansion bullet; just cup-and-core.

Shooting a 6.5 PRC at elk, he needs to tip the odds in his favor using a bullet that will hold together and penetrate. That gets us to bonded core bullets, partitioned bullets, or mono-metal bullets, all of which will do fine at the max range he indicated.

But we agree on the ELD-X! Not a good choice for this application.
Never hunted elk yet I hope to someday so I cannot say for sure but look what a Berger 140 VLD does to a 1 inch plate of mild steel at 500 yards I just don't see how it would not be effective ATTACH=full]211428[/ATTACH]

I always think of shooting elk and bullet performance like this after doing thorough necropcies on over 150 elk from 600# to 1200#

I want a bullet to BE ABLE TO TRAVERSE A 1200# ELK EVERY TIME!!!...

I PLAN FOR THE WORST SHOT POSSIBLE.

THE BERGERS BROADSIDE IN THE BOILER ROOM ARE DEVASTATING, IMPECCABLE...

HOW OFTEN DO YOU ACTUALLY GET A BROADSIDE BOILER ROOM SHOT???

10% 25% ???????

I WANT TO SHOOT IN THE BACK RIGHT HIP, DESTROY GUTS, LIVER, LUNGS, HEART AND FRONT LEFT SHOULDER....

I WANT 2 HOLES FOR BLOODTRAIL

I WANT 2 BROKEN SHOULDERS

I WANT A DEAD ELK NOW!!!

AT LEAST A HOBBLED ELK SLOWED DOWN FOR A SECOND SHOT....

I DONT CARE IF I HAVE 4 OR 5 POUNDS MORE HAMBURGER!!!

I DONT CARE IF I LOSE 5 LBS OF LIVER!!!

I don't care if my pups get to have 10lbs of frozen elk treats!!!

I WANT A DEAD ELK ASAP.....

There are no points for a "pretty" kill!!

only

full dinner plates or empty dinner plates!!!

penetration kills stuff and breaks things, kinda like MARINES 😉🤗😉

PENETRATION PENETRATION PENETRATION PENETRATION PENETRATION PENETRATION PENETRATION PENETRATION PENETRATION PENETRATION PENETRATION PENETRATION PENETRATION PENETRATION

ITS LIKE CLEARING A HOME IN KURDISTAN

Option 1 jdam

Option 2 ma deuce

Option 3 grenades

Option 4 7.62 x 51 belt fed....

WHY?????

PENETRATION KILLS!!!!

PLAN FOR THE WORST SHOT POSSIBLE!!!

BE PREPARED!!!

Last edited:
I got my first Bull Elk in central Oregon. I shot him twice with the 147 ELDM bullets and he didn't flinch. The range was only 35 yards. The first shot was behind the shoulder and low. Found holes in the lungs. No bullet fragment. The second shot was on the shoulder and didn't appear to penetrate and didn't break the leg.

I let my friend take a shot to keep him from running away. He used a 45/70 with a 325 gn. bullet. Hit him in the rear quarter and the bullet lodged in his spine. That dropped him right away.

I think I will change to a tougher bullet. I had expected a much better result from a close range shot with an impact velocity of 3000 FPS.

Attachments

• 21DC2065-2B08-4300-B292-5DCDC80DA1F2.jpeg
    21DC2065-2B08-4300-B292-5DCDC80DA1F2.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 266
  • 7E7C5518-9B21-4365-9008-AA13B3A6CE4A.jpeg
    7E7C5518-9B21-4365-9008-AA13B3A6CE4A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 260
Last edited:

Recent Posts