First DIY Wyoming antelope advise needed!

XboltLRH7mm

Been a long time fan of this forum. This is my first time posting, so thanks in advance for any help. Me and a buddy are headed to wyoming the 3rd week end of October to try our hand at antelope hunting. Its been kind of a last minute thing. We decided we were gonna get our deer hunting group together and put in for tags for the 2015 season. But didn't want to drag everyone out there blindly so we bought leftover doe tags and are going out this year to kinda get an idea of what we will all be up against next year. And hopefully bag a couple does. We got tags for unit 24 and would greatly appreciate help on towns/hotels and availible public land that might be worth while in unit 24. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Gillette is the town you'll find anything you need. Wright and Moorcroft are small but have hotels and food. There is public land in your area, Thunder Basin Nat'l Grassland. SE corner. If you a GPS get the public land chip {X-Maps} I think. Coal mines cover a lot property. If you'll notice there is an astric next to this area. It means there could be trouble getting access.

There has been a discussion about several Wy hunt areas for antelope here . Try the search feature. There is some great help available. Good luck. Bruce

First off, get a chip for your GPS. It will show you where the public land is. I've got one of these and it is excellent.

Hunting GPS Maps - Public/Private Land Ownership names for your GPS

Next a good pair of boots and good optics will help a lot. In terms of the hunting, try to find a water source as this will concentrate the antelope into a small area.

Here are some write-ups from the past that might be helpful...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/2-va-lrhers-eastern-wy-78874/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/stalking-1-mile-shot-116232/

Thanks guys! You've been a ton of help. So far I have got the x-maps app downloaded, bought a spotting scope yesterday and called a few of the recommended towns. I think I've decided to stay in wright. Looks like they have about 4 hotels there and give discounts to hunters which is awesome. Anyone stay at any of the hotels there that they would recommend? And gonna do some boot shopping this next weekend. Also what kinda weather should I prepare for around the third weekend of October out there?

Weather can be variable. Last yr we got a blizzard with 20 inches of snow the first week of Oct. Be prepared for snow and 0 to 60 and sunny. Seen it both ways at that time of year. Bring tire chains if you have them. Bring waterproof boots and gaiters. Good gloves and hat are important. Best of luck. Bruce

Hot or snow.
By the third week there is usually some kind of water falling. With the wet summer we're having, I'm betting on mud. Just a year or two ago we had over a foot of snow the first day of Oct.

Weather in Wyoming is always a toss up. But that's not a bad thing IMO. It helps build character. Every time I hunt Wyoming I take everything from light weight cool clothing to extra warm stuff. I find it easier to pack if I rely on specialized hunting attire (Sitka or Kuiu - I prefer Kuiu) that is both light weight and warm so I don't end up looking the Mechelin man or the Pilsbury Dough Boy when I'm on the stalk. Depending on where you find prong horns and how much hunting they've been exposed to you may find your long range hunting skills tested to the max. I've hunted Wyoming prong horns when a shot under 400 yards was impossible. My last successful prong horn target was 675 yards. Best of luck to ya.

Sometimes there is a hunter information station in Gillette. They may have landowner lists of ranches where you could hunt for a trepass fee. It might be worth checking out. You may find a place for next year.

If you a GPS get the public land chip {X-Maps} I think.

I'll second this and I will say there is a lot of public land with a lot of goats. I recently hunted in 108 and 53, both were LOADED with animals, HUGE bucks and fat does. I had no challenge filling both my tags, and did so within 6 hours as did my buddy and both of his kids (total of 8 goats).

Pick an area, get the GPS X maps, and go hunting! You'll be surprised how easy it is!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.