First DIY Savage, Barrels?

Duckman208

I'm at the drawing board on my first do-it-yourself savage and I'm looking for some pointers on drop in barrels. I'm planning on doing all the work myself and the rig is going to be a semi long range deer gun and hopefully goat and sheep if I ever draw a tag. I'm set on 6.5WSM for the caliber and 26'' #4 contour tube. Right now Shilen is looking good to me as far as ease of installation and as far as I know they make good tubes. If anyone has any insight or experience on this kind of project I would love any information. Thanks for your time.

Never swapped barrels on a Savage but might in the future. Whatever barrel brand you go with I would suggest it have a 1/8" twist. I have read some good reviews on the E. R. Shaw barrels for the Savages. They sell them at E. Arthur Brown at very good prices and they can be bought as a kit that includes the barrel nut wrench and the go/ no go gauges at very good prices.

Shilen won't do pre-fits in contours other than the factory Savage contours, or they wouldn't the last I asked anyway. If you are set on the #4 you'll need to get it somewhere else or buy a blank and have it fit.

I haven't spoken with Shilen but I believe their savage heavy sporter is about what I'm after. Shilen and E.R. Shaw seem to be the only companies out there that are making drop ins that require no additional machining. If anyone knows of any other shops that do I would be interested in checking them out.Thanks again to everyone.

I haven't spoken with Shilen but I believe their savage heavy sporter is about what I'm after. Shilen and E.R. Shaw seem to be the only companies out there that are making drop ins that require no additional machining. If anyone knows of any other shops that do I would be interested in checking them out.Thanks again to everyone.

There are plenty of others. Go to Savage Shooters. Easier than listing them all.

Then look for Northland Shooters Supply. Can't make you go there, but it has been suggested already.

I'm at the drawing board on my first do-it-yourself savage and I'm looking for some pointers on drop in barrels. I'm planning on doing all the work myself and the rig is going to be a semi long range deer gun and hopefully goat and sheep if I ever draw a tag. I'm set on 6.5WSM for the caliber and 26'' #4 contour tube. Right now Shilen is looking good to me as far as ease of installation and as far as I know they make good tubes. If anyone has any insight or experience on this kind of project I would love any information. Thanks for your time.

try Pacnor
gary

I've had shilen, benchmark, Mcgowen, and now criterion. They are all good barrels and all of them were very easy to install. Just be sure to put some anti-seize on the shank threads if you ever plan on taking it off.

Nathan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.