First day with Norma 143 Grain Bondstrike Ammo

I got a call from a Norma rep a couple weeks ago and he said they want their factory ammo to have more of a presence in the US market. We spoke specifically about ammo that would be effective at longer ranges. I was told to try the Bondstrike ammo, so I called Sports South and got a few boxes to try. This was the first day testing in custom 6.5 Creedmoor. This performance was from a 20" Proof carbon fiber barrel. Average according to LabRadar was 2663. Shot one round at 200 to check zero which was exactly the same as 143 ELD-X. Then I fired four rounds at 504 yards. Seems like the BC may also be pretty close. Now I just need to test it on some game. I'm going to do some more shooting before becoming a fan, but I think they may have a really good combination here. I also see that right now availability is better than the Hornady offerings. I'll post future results.

Attachments

• Norma Bondstrike Creed.jpeg
    Norma Bondstrike Creed.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 199
  • Norma Bondstrike 2.jpeg
    Norma Bondstrike 2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 178
The 143 GT match I have been using to build a brass pile is very good for what I used to pay for it. I have taken it to 1k in multiple rifles. However the price has crept up a lot in the past 3 months.

I saw an email from norma (supposedly) about changing their dealer network/distrobution because of sellers undercutting the price they would prefer. If true, that's not a great way to increase their market presence here in the US imo. I didn't get the email though, so maybe that is false news.

I'm interested in the bondstrike, I'd love to see a cross section of the bullet to better understand how it's built to perform, some gel tests and especially on game performance. It seems to want to be a long range hunting bullet, so I would hope it's designed to open up radically at lower velocities. I admit that the name makes me skeptical this will be designed the way I would prefer. It makes me feel like it's more of a TGK style bullet than an eldx style.

I'm gonna look more into this bullet. If the bc is true it might be a nice factory option

Last edited:
I have high hopes for the 143 bondstrike, I have 700 to play with, the only one's I've loaded were in a 6.5x55..very accurate but I haven't tried them on game yet

I'm interested in the bondstrike, I'd love to see a cross section of the bullet to better understand how it's built to perform,

The Bondstrike cross-section from Norma:

1686314737939.png

The core of the Bondstrike is a precision-formed lead that's been chemically bonded to its copper jacket. This creates a tough bullet intended to perform reliably and maintain integrity when encountering heavy muscle tissue and bullet- busting bone. Rather than fragmenting or shedding petals, a bonded bullet housing a solid lead core has to be designed so that it expands during penetration and loses minimal weight.
As tough as bonded bullets are for use on heavy bodied big-game, durability can come at a price if expansion is compromised at lower terminal velocities. That's where tipped bullets shine. The Bondstrike's blue polymer tip is designed to initiate expansion on impact as it's forced rearward into the lead core. At extreme close distances expansion is violent, which can be detrimental if the bullet fragments upon impact. However, the Bondstrike design mitigates that splashing effect.

When combined with the shape of the Bondstrike's ogive and boattail, the polymer tip also increases the bullet's ballistic coefficient (BC), which is advertised at an impressive .615 across the .30-caliber, 180-grain lineup.
https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/norma-bondstrike-long-range-bullet/364340

I have several boxes in 6.5 creedmoor and I am intending to take them for an Ibex hunt. I am about to test them at distance. I am originally from Europe and used to be a fan of Norma ammunition. I wish they were more available here. In fact, I am signed up at Norma for notification regarding the availability of 300 WSM bond strike. I would love to test those in my blaser R8.

Last edited:

View attachment 468909

The core of the Bondstrike is a precision-formed lead that's been chemically bonded to its copper jacket. This creates a tough bullet intended to perform reliably and maintain integrity when encountering heavy muscle tissue and bullet- busting bone. Rather than fragmenting or shedding petals, a bonded bullet housing a solid lead core has to be designed so that it expands during penetration and loses minimal weight.
As tough as bonded bullets are for use on heavy bodied big-game, durability can come at a price if expansion is compromised at lower terminal velocities. That's where tipped bullets shine. The Bondstrike's blue polymer tip is designed to initiate expansion on impact as it's forced rearward into the lead core. At extreme close distances expansion is violent, which can be detrimental if the bullet fragments upon impact. However, the Bondstrike design mitigates that splashing effect.

When combined with the shape of the Bondstrike's ogive and boattail, the polymer tip also increases the bullet's ballistic coefficient (BC), which is advertised at an impressive .615 across the .30-caliber, 180-grain lineup.

I must admit I'm very skeptical about the .615 bc…just looking at the cross section picture I don't see what's so different about this pill than a Nosler accubond, hornady interbond, or swift scirocco (other than the pure copper jacket on the swift)…they all have bcs around .5…. Is this really a world apart from those others in terms of sleekness? I don't see it.

That's not saying I've predetermined it's not true, I just don't see the big difference yet.

I must admit I'm very skeptical about the .615 bc…just looking at the cross section picture I don't see what's so different about this pill than a Nosler accubond, hornady interbond, or swift scirocco (other than the pure copper jacket on the swift)…they all have bcs around .5…. Is this really a world apart from those others in terms of sleekness? I don't see it.

That's not saying I've predetermined it's not true, I just don't see the big difference yet.

I think there are quite few folks who may have thought the same thing when looking at the cross-section. All too familiar when considering those you mention.

The BC may just be the battle which every bullet maker fights when trying to be better than the rest in the already crowded field of bullets. Most exaggerate when suggesting a BC.

The solution, as all will agree, is to test in your rifle with your loads and create your own BC which works consistently for you.

The best part is that they want to be considered as a part of the component manufacturers and ammunition makers available here in the U.S.

Enjoy!

:)

View attachment 468909

Thanks, and LOL I figured that was gonna be from somewhere like guns and ammo half way through. The gun mags have a certain cadence about them.

Not what I'm looking for, but seems like something a lot of people are so hopefully they are successful

I figured that was gonna be from somewhere like guns and ammo half way through.
Yeah I know everyone is a Buns & Whammo hater... but they had the best picture of the cross-section and for those not having the power of discrimination that you do, decent information is helpful. Screw the cadence.

;):D

Yeah I know everyone is a Buns & Whammo hater... but they had the best picture of the cross-section and for those not having the power of discrimination that you do, decent information is helpful. Screw the cadence.

;):D
Ok, I think you're taking my comment about a million times more seriously than it was meant. Perhaps I am doing the same. Thanks again

We'll have to have somebody to a full comparison between the swift scirocco, hornady inter bond, Nosler accubond and ablr, Speer impact, and Norma bond strike.

One bonded core tipped boat tail to rule them all!!!!! 🤣

Am I missing some others in my list? The federal trophy bonded tip and terminal ascent aren't really comparable with their solid copper shank (and I like them more than any of the above haha)

The 143 GT match I have been using to build a brass pile is very good for what I used to pay for it. I have taken it to 1k in multiple rifles. However the price has crept up a lot in the past 3 months.

I saw an email from norma (supposedly) about changing their dealer network/distrobution because of sellers undercutting the price they would prefer. If true, that's not a great way to increase their market presence here in the US imo. I didn't get the email though, so maybe that is false news.

I'm interested in the bondstrike, I'd love to see a cross section of the bullet to better understand how it's built to perform, some gel tests and especially on game performance. It seems to want to be a long range hunting bullet, so I would hope it's designed to open up radically at lower velocities. I admit that the name makes me skeptical this will be designed the way I would prefer. It makes me feel like it's more of a TGK style bullet than an eldx style.

I'm gonna look more into this bullet. If the bc is true it might be a nice factory option

Attachments

• norma-bondstrike-bullet-description.png
    norma-bondstrike-bullet-description.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 51