First custom rifle is here and i think its a keeper!!!!!

Sounds like my own story! Id love to have a "big" 30 or 7mm,....to shoot what? Cant use rifle on whitetails in Ohio.....so here I sit with a boatload of medium sized calibers to kill..?? Pasture grizzlies;....attack racoons;....a black bird out of the tops of the trees on occasions...??

Not only do I shoot PA whitetails with my Rum and have so for yrs with the 168 vld's I now shoot them and groundhogs and crows with a 200 gr Accubond!!!! Why????? Cause I can and i want to and for no other reason! Most of the guns I own aren't out of necessity but pure want or as I tell my wife, need:D

Roy

Not only do I shoot PA whitetails with my Rum and have so for yrs with the 168 vld's I now shoot them and groundhogs and crows with a 200 gr Accubond!!!! Why????? Cause I can and i want to and for no other reason! Most of the guns I own aren't out of necessity but pure want or as I tell my wife, need:D

Roy

Now that's a good attitude!

Sounds like my own story! Id love to have a "big" 30 or 7mm,....to shoot what? Cant use rifle on whitetails in Ohio.....so here I sit with a boatload of medium sized calibers to kill..?? Pasture grizzlies;....attack racoons;....a black bird out of the tops of the trees on occasions...??

For the record, this is NOT a crack at everyone who uses RUMs or big bore caliber....This is about the people who use them in my area ONLY.

We hunt deer with rifles. We're certainly allowed to down here...But after years of watching morons come into the gun store and buy a 300 RUM just to hunt whitetail deer with no more than a 200 yard shot available to them (I asked them, and they said 200 tops), because they didn't think their "old '06" would do the job, because they missed one, or put a bad shot on it and tracked it and never found it.

I learned that alot of those people buying the howitzers around my area are hugely overcompensating for something...Be it lack of manhood, brains, or abilities, that I am not sure of, but it is a lack of something... In my area, unless you're hunting out of town, or a gas or powerline you will never need something that big or powerful. In my area, most people could get by with a .257 Roberts if they had the skills for shot placement.

Me, I intentionally find the longest shot available on the property I hunt, and that is where I tend to setup shop. I know my capabilities, and 99% of the people I have always hunted with are greenfield hunters taking 150 yard shots on the long-end, and never hunting outside of the greenfields.

I'll sit on a powerline or a gas line and watch deer as far away as I care to.

Now that's a good attitude!

U should see what happens to a crow or a groundhog when they come into contact with a 168 vld at 3500 fps! Very interesting! Surprising enough all but one deer I've shot with the same load 10-350+yds have all exited. That total is close to 30 whitetails an antelope and 2 muleys!

Roy

For the record, this is NOT a crack at everyone who uses RUMs or big bore caliber....This is about the people who use them in my area ONLY.

We hunt deer with rifles. We're certainly allowed to down here...But after years of watching morons come into the gun store and buy a 300 RUM just to hunt whitetail deer with no more than a 200 yard shot available to them (I asked them, and they said 200 tops), because they didn't think their "old '06" would do the job, because they missed one, or put a bad shot on it and tracked it and never found it.

I learned that alot of those people buying the howitzers around my area are hugely overcompensating for something...Be it lack of manhood, brains, or abilities, that I am not sure of, but it is a lack of something... In my area, unless you're hunting out of town, or a gas or powerline you will never need something that big or powerful. In my area, most people could get by with a .257 Roberts if they had the skills for shot placement.

Me, I intentionally find the longest shot available on the property I hunt, and that is where I tend to setup shop. I know my capabilities, and 99% of the people I have always hunted with are greenfield hunters taking 150 yard shots on the long-end, and never hunting outside of the greenfields.

I'll sit on a powerline or a gas line and watch deer as far away as I care to.

I agree with u 100%. Most guys that have them probably shouldn't. I had mine for a total of 1/2 a day before I sent it to get it brake installed. I understand its loud but I deal with it. It now recoils less than my 270. My braked 6.5 Sherman is like shooting my 22-250.

Roy

He did post his in post #7. It's a blown out AI style 270 Win with a 40* shoulder with almost the capacity of a WSM.
Not talking a cartridge picture, I'm talking about a picture of the designed diagram with measurement numbers.

Like this...

280Bama_zps2553b15a.jpg

I agree with u 100%. Most guys that have them probably shouldn't. I had mine for a total of 1/2 a day before I sent it to get it brake installed. I understand its loud but I deal with it. It now recoils less than my 270. My braked 6.5 Sherman is like shooting my 22-250.

Roy
I'm glad to took time to read my whole post instead of just jumping to conclusions or taking offense to what I said, which has happened before.

I know one local guy who owns a .338 Lapua, and I bet he'll shoot 20 rounds out of it, and be done with it, or he'll never shoot it, and trade it off for something else. Those are the kind of people I can't stand.

And you're right, MB's make a HUGE difference. My A-Bolt II 7RM has the BOSS system on it, and it kicks like a .243. Other than the deafening report when I'm hunting, it's the perfect whitetail rig. gun)

Nice drawing. What program is that? The 270 has a longer neck and OAL than the 30-06 which is why Rich went with it. His original design was off the RWS 6.5x65 if memory serves me.
RCBS Load in the Cartridge Designer software.

I still don't know how to use anything else with their software other than the cartridge designer, but it works out pretty good. LMAO! :D

I see that now! My caliber would be best made off the .270 as well....The longer OAL would be handy.

Good call. Thanks Mark. I'd have to neck it up to a .30, then back down to a .284 for a false-shoulder for fire-forming.

Thanks for the heads-up, I completely had a brain-fart that the .270 had a longer OAL...

Would the brass grow that 0.031" to my .280 Bama brass' OAL from necking it down to .284 from .30 if I were to use a .30-06 case?

Not talking a cartridge picture, I'm talking about a picture of the designed diagram with measurement numbers.

Like this...

280Bama_zps2553b15a.jpg

It is basically a copy of mine except the chamber length is approx. .025" longer which means you will end up with a long void in your neck after you fireform!........Rich

RCBS Load in the Cartridge Designer software.

I still don't know how to use anything else with their software other than the cartridge designer, but it works out pretty good. LMAO! :D

I see that now! My caliber would be best made off the .270 as well....The longer OAL would be handy.

Good call. Thanks Mark. I'd have to neck it up to a .30, then back down to a .284 for a false-shoulder for fire-forming.

Thanks for the heads-up, I completely had a brain-fart that the .270 had a longer OAL...

Would the brass grow that 0.031" to my .280 Bama brass' OAL from necking it down to .284 from .30 if I were to use a .30-06 case?

I posted before I read this. I would encourage you to reconsider your overall length as there is no way you will end up with brass that long. This will cause isssues with carbon forming in the .030" of unused neck area and won't do anything for accuracy. You have lots of case capacity, but what are are really ending up with is a short neck (like the Gibbs). I went through all this and is why my design is 2.525" in length. Hope this helps!.....Rich

OOpsie! I just took another look at your design and realized my eyes aren't so good with the small print! It (is) a copy of mine with .013" shorter neck. Save yourself some time and expense and build a Sherman:D......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.