First custom rifle is here and i think its a keeper!!!!!

Dammit Rich! Now that I'm building a switchbarrel on a standard action you're making me want to build a 6.5 Sherman...Can RCBS make dies for it? :D

I don't want a 6.5-284 like everyone else....The 6.5 Sherman would be a fun addition to go with my .25-06 AI for whitetails.

RCBS doesn't but I'm getting some really nice dies from Whidden now with short turn around!
The Sherman will beat a 6.5/284 by at least 150'.......Rich

RCBS doesn't but I'm getting some really nice dies from Whidden now with short turn around!
The Sherman will beat a 6.5/284 by at least 150'.......Rich

What's the price on the Whidden dies? Believe it or not, I love calibers based on the .270 and 30-06 cases, but I refuse to own a .270 or .30-06 because of how common they are.

Shoot me a PM with some more info on remers and dies and such.

Thanks!

The 6.5 Sherman is as sexy as a 270 case can get, hands down! Also necked up to 270, 280 and 30 it's very, very good!!
Ok, now Mud, this will be the biggest decision you've ever made in your life... For your next build, will it be 280 AI or 280 Sherman?? :D

Ok, now Mud, this will be the biggest decision you've ever made in your life... For your next build, will it be 280 AI or 280 Sherman?? :D

That's probably what I'll do when the barrel is done on mg 6.5! Think that would be cool and very deadly with the 168 VLD!!

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Gonna stomp on the gas and see what velocities I can get this weekend! Will report back asap.

Roy

The Sherman shares the same head size and shoulder angle with the A.I. The case has less taper and the body is longer......Rich

Actually it might be a .280 Bama, which is one I designed a little while back, but haven't gotten my reamer or dies made yet. :D

Unfortunately brass can't be made from .280 AI, without having to fire-form without a bullet in it first.......:cool:

The Sherman shares the same head size and shoulder angle with the A.I. The case has less taper and the body is longer......Rich
Sounds like we designed almost the same cartridge.

I'll post mine up, if you'll post yours...I'm really curious to know how close they are now...

What's your point? I can functionally use the 6.5 Sherman to it's potential...I have a 7STW and only LR animals I hunt are deer. There's really no need for a .300 RUM or a big .30 cal...

Sounds like my own story! Id love to have a "big" 30 or 7mm,....to shoot what? Cant use rifle on whitetails in Ohio.....so here I sit with a boatload of medium sized calibers to kill..?? Pasture grizzlies;....attack racoons;....a black bird out of the tops of the trees on occasions...??

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.