First Custom Rifle Build | Tips Appreciated

ModernRedneck

I'm really wanting to step up to custom rifles. For my first build, I'm looking for something that is good for hunting, shooting small groups out to 500 yards or better, and simply looks great! I also shoot suppressed. I've decided on 6.5 Creedmoor.

After lots of research, below is my parts list:
Action: Remington 700 Short Action Stainless (or Defiance Anti)
Barrel: Carbon Six 18" Carbon Featherweight Barrel, 1:8" twist (or 1:8.5"), threaded for 5/8"x24
Stock: AG Composites, AG Adjustable Chalk Branch Carbon Fiber Stock
Trigger: Trigger Tech Diamond
Trigger Guard: Not Sure. Would appreciate recommendations
Magazine: Not Sure. Would appreciate recommendations
Suppressor: Energetic Armament VOX-S, with Dead Air KeyMount Muzzle Brake (I already own these)

Here are my areas where I'm stuck and can't make a decision.
1. Barrel Twist Rate: I know the 1:8" twist rate is good for the heavier, 143-grain bullets (Hornady ELD-X). However, my hands-down favorite hunting bullet is Barnes. I plan to shoot either the 120-grain TTSX or the 127-grain LRX bullets. Wondering if I should get the 1:8.5" twist rate to stabilize the lighter Barnes bullets, while also being able to stabilize the 143-grain ELD-X bullets.
2. Action: I know I want to go with a Remington 700 action. I've heard great things about to Defiance actions (very smooth). I would also like to stay lightweight, so I would spring for the Anti-X model. However, I would like opinions on if it is worth spending the extra $600-$1000 on the defiance Anti-X action or should I just stick with a stock Remington 700 stainless short action?
3. Need ideas for a good Trigger Guard and Magazine.
4. Cerakote: I plan to Cerekote the action, bolt, bolt handle, and trigger guard. Any recommendations on a good company to use?

Thanks

My advice is to make sure you get the stock you want and that fits you and get the weight the way you want it, and pick a good smith. I also recommend you order what you want and don't settle - buy once cry once.

I'd stick with a custom action, and most gunsmiths seem to have someone they trust and use for cerakote. And I would think 1:8 would give you max flexibility on bullet choice as I wouldn't go much heavier than about 140 or so With a CM.

Last edited:
My advice is to make sure you get the stock you want and that fits you and get the weight the way you want it, and pick a good smith. I also recommend you order what you want and don't settle - buy once cry once.

I'd stick with a custom action, and most gunsmiths seem to have someone they trust and use for cerakote. And I would think 1:8 would give you max flexibility on bullet choice as I would go much heavier than about 140 or so.
Appreciate the input. I'm thinking more and more to just go Defiance Anti-X and don't look back.

I know your trying to keep the length down for the supressor but 18" creed gonna be slow. Not sure how fast your going to be able to push the 127 barnes but the .468 bc is not impressive. You may get below the minimum velocity for expansion.

After looking at a ballistic calc you will have to push the lrx 2900 fps to get to 500 yds with 2000 fps. I'm not sure the barnes will expand much below that velocity.

Here are my areas where I'm stuck and can't make a decision.
1. Barrel Twist Rate: I know the 1:8" twist rate is good for the heavier, 143-grain bullets (Hornady ELD-X). However, my hands-down favorite hunting bullet is Barnes. I plan to shoot either the 120-grain TTSX or the 127-grain LRX bullets. Wondering if I should get the 1:8.5" twist rate to stabilize the lighter Barnes bullets, while also being able to stabilize the 143-grain ELD-X bullets.
2. Action: I know I want to go with a Remington 700 action. I've heard great things about to Defiance actions (very smooth). I would also like to stay lightweight, so I would spring for the Anti-X model. However, I would like opinions on if it is worth spending the extra $600-$1000 on the defiance Anti-X action or should I just stick with a stock Remington 700 stainless short action?
3. Need ideas for a good Trigger Guard and Magazine.
4. Cerakote: I plan to Cerekote the action, bolt, bolt handle, and trigger guard. Any recommendations on a good company to use?

Thanks
1. Stick with 1:8
2. Defiance all the way. Standard anti is the way to go.
3. look at Hawkins precision. They have a flush mount dbm or regular dbm.
4. usually your smith has a good handle on this. Check with them.

Stock. Don't rule out the adj. alpine hunter from AG as well. Solid design.

I know your trying to keep the length down for the supressor but 18" creed gonna be slow. Not sure how fast your going to be able to push the 127 barnes but the .468 bc is not impressive. You may get below the minimum velocity for expansion.
Good catch. I don't plan on shooting any animal over 300 yards. So, my shots with the LRX rounds would stay below 300 yards.

The anTi-X is $1380 as compared to an anTi at $995. If you're not opposed to a rail, you could save some $$.
I was thinking the same. But, but then my brain tells me to just order the Ant-X since you're spending all the money anyway! That decision is like a ping pong game in my head constantly.

If you want to stretch it out the eldm with a 646 bc has a good reputation for killing well at lower velocities.

Go with the custom action. You will have near that by the time you true it all up, have a better action, and higher resale. Your gunsmith should already have established relationships with someone doing the cerakote. Ask your smith about the bottom metal. Do you want ADl, BDL, DBM? Sounds like your set up to build one fine rifle! Let us know what you decide and how it turns out. I agonized over alot of the details of my first build. I'm also extremely pleased with it and in the end, that's what truly matters.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.