First custom rifle build (flood me with your suggestions or advice)

The advice to find brass and dies before you commission the build with the smith is very wise. I recently bought a 300wsm on a lightweight magnesium chassis. 🤦🏻‍♂ I don't have any brass or dies. Luckily a friend had a couple boxes of rounds, but that will only last so long.
I have a ziploc full of once fired 300WSM brass from a friend who does not reload. I was saving it in case he ever needed me to work up some loads but it's been like 10 years. I almost recycled it the other day. PM me if you want it, you pay postage.

Personally I would look at 6.5 CM with Bartlein 5R rifling, 8 twist with Vortex Razor Gen 2 HD 4-27Ă—56. Cheaper than Nightforce and every bit as good. I have a 6.5 CM tactical with the Razor above. I also have a Schmidt and Bender 5-25 x56. I have put them side by side and can't tell a difference out to 800 meters (885 yds). The only scope I own that has clearer glass(slightly) is Zeiss Victory V8 2.8-20Ă—56. For the price difference I can't justify anything other than the Razor Gen2. I own several Zeiss, 2 Vortex Razor Gen 2s, Nightforce and Schmidt and Bender and any scope I buy from here on out will be Vortex Razor. Hard to beat at any price. Haven't looked thru Tangent Theta but also won't spend that kind of money.

Personally I would look at 6.5 CM with Bartlein 5R rifling, 8 twist with Vortex Razor Gen 2 HD 4-27Ă—56. Cheaper than Nightforce and every bit as good. I have a 6.5 CM tactical with the Razor above. I also have a Schmidt and Bender 5-25 x56. I have put them side by side and can't tell a difference out to 800 meters (885 yds). The only scope I own that has clearer glass(slightly) is Zeiss Victory V8 2.8-20Ă—56. For the price difference I can't justify anything other than the Razor Gen2. I own several Zeiss, 2 Vortex Razor Gen 2s, Nightforce and Schmidt and Bender and any scope I buy from here on out will be Vortex Razor. Hard to beat at any price. Haven't looked thru Tangent Theta but also won't spend that kind of money.
I probably should add won't spend that kind of money again.

Skip the gunsmith. Buy some books and watch a ton of videos on how to bed a stock and how to headspace a remage barrel. Get a punch a hammer some headspace gauges a barrel vice and do it yourself. You won't have to wait it is fun to learn and very satisfying.

I think that if you decide on a cartridge that requires a larger bolt face Defiance will work with you on it.
Give Ag composites a call and see if they have a pattern for your action of choice and barrel contour when I ordered my alpine hunter it was specifically for the Curtis Axiom action for a carbon proof sendero light for the Wto switch lug I dropped my barrelled action into it with just a minor relief in the barrel channel did not glass because it shoots less than . 5 all day long this build was done in 6.5 prc 26in my next barrel will be same contour 300 wsm those 2 cartridges will cover about anything I'll ever hunt as far as stocks yuo need to look no ferther tha Ag veteran owned great people too deal with

Give Ag composites a call and see if they have a pattern for your action of choice and barrel contour when I ordered my alpine hunter it was specifically for the Curtis Axiom action for a carbon proof sendero light for the Wto switch lug I dropped my barrelled action into it with just a minor relief in the barrel channel did not glass because it shoots less than . 5 all day long this build was done in 6.5 prc 26in my next barrel will be same contour 300 wsm those 2 cartridges will cover about anything I'll ever hunt as far as stocks yuo need to look no ferther tha Ag veteran owned great people too deal with
Will do. I have checked out their website and I am really impressed with their pricing compared to the quality everyone is talking about - they are very affordable.

Hmmm....that, 500 yd shooting and a 6mm don't really compute. Loprs of guys supporting your choice, but frankly, I think a 6mm is way too small.

25, maybe....6.5 better....6.8-7mm are ideal...30 is more versatile, but a touch oversized.

My gut feeling is rounds like 6.5 prc, 6.5x284, 6.8 Western, 270 WSM (throated for bigger bullets), 280AI would all be nice longer range deer slayers.

Also, I would spend some time finding a gunsmith that speaks your language. I have a buddy that dropped good money at GAP, and is very satisfied.

There are basically 3 kinds of gunsmiths, IMO. Full service, I listen and build what I think I heard you say you gunsmiths. Package guys, willing to build full custom, but basically build from packages. ....do it all guys....these guys often have the best experience. They seem to take almost any job as a challenge, but you really have to tell them each detail you want.

I'm sure every gunsmith is an individual, but this was kind of what I've seen. For a first high end build, a full service place like GAP, makes a lot of sense.
I would have to second this with something a little bit bigger. I have two rifles in the 6mm, a 243 Win and a 243 WSSM. I have shot multiple whitetail with both using hand loaded 100 grain Sierra game kings. Only pieces of the bullet made it out the other side on my last deer. I have a 300 win mag and don't have to go look for deer when I squeeze the trigger.

With all that said I recently started building a 6.5-06. I used a 24 inch Bartlein #4 CFW, a Kelbley Atlas action, timney tigger (May upgrade on it) and a Grayboe Terrain stock. If you haven't looked at Grayboe check them out, a few different options than some others. I would even like to try out their Phoenix stock as well. Both weigh 32 ozs.

My 300 win mag has a Shilen SS select match and a Stiller TAC 300 action. Been pretty happy with it, very accurate however the action is a little catchy.

I am on my third 6mm barrel on one action. The first two barrels (both were shot out) were .243AI and the last one is a 6X47. It's a Lilja three-groove. All shot very well, but the 6X47 might have the accuracy edge. The 6X47 also generates a little more velocity than the .243AI's with several grains less powder. I run RL17 with CCI 450's behind Berger 105 VLD's.

One tip is get a standard full length die to neck down your brass. I ruined a number of cases trying to neck down my brass using my bushing die. The case needs to be supported. A full length non-bushing die is a good investment to save your $1.00 per stick Lapua cases.

I think you'll enjoy the 6X47. As others have said, 6mm's are on the light side for mule deer at distance, but I have tremendous confidence in my 6X47. You can't go wrong with a NF scope in good mounts. They are as dependable as you can get. Everything else (contour, stock make and model, etc.) is personal preference and what you're willing to carry. Good luck!

Excited about another piece of the puzzle coming together. Thought I'd share a pic. Just arrived this week and not sure if this is allowed or not but I was really impressed with optics planet's pricing and rewards money!

Attachments

• 06A8D320-C98C-41AB-88A4-503D773EF4B3.jpeg
    06A8D320-C98C-41AB-88A4-503D773EF4B3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 85

Recent Posts