First custom rifle build (flood me with your suggestions or advice)

Good feedback sir. Appreciate it. Being new to this I feel 500 yards is a long shot but I know that can and will change as I learn and push myself. Again I am new to this but I don't mind something pretty solid because I will be doing a lot of bench shooting with this first build to really fine tune, fundamentals, etc but I do plan to book either Muley or antelope hunt in 2022 and use this build for that. (Or something along that line welcome to suggestions). I am not worried about it needing to be super light for packing as I don't want to sacrifice rigidity for that - don't mind lugging around. (Curious what weight you target and distance you feel comfortable with as well). Thanks
Again, while not trying to talk you out of 6mm, I would suggest you consider 6.5 PRC. There are good reasons for it's popularity, and there is a lot of difference between knocking down a muley versus a pronghorn.
I looked for sub 7# wt (without optics) in mine.

Alex wheeler has 6mm creedmoor with targets at a thousand yards for sale right now. Give you an idea of what a nice hunting weight setup can do in that bore diameter.
Agree with 6mm Creed as a viable choice. After I built my 6.5 GAP 4S I decided to take the 6.5 CM i built in 2013 and turn it into a 6mm CM. Tons of components, easy to shoot and mine is pushing 115 Bergers at 2980 with no pressure at all...could probably get 80-90 fps more but why, its likes this load at shoots great. The case is inherently accurate and very efficient.
Sometimes prefer a hunting caliber that I can find on the local shelf when I am traveling by air for a hunt. (when things are available) Tougher to do with some of the less common calibers

Agree with 6mm Creed as a viable choice. After I built my 6.5 GAP 4S I decided to take the 6.5 CM i built in 2013 and turn it into a 6mm CM. Tons of components, easy to shoot and mine is pushing 115 Bergers at 2980 with no pressure at all...could probably get 80-90 fps more but why, its likes this load at shoots great. The case is inherently accurate and very efficient.
Sometimes prefer a hunting caliber that I can find on the local shelf when I am traveling by air for a hunt. (when things are available) Tougher to do with some of the less common calibers

If you can do a switch lug you can change barrels and calibers youself in a manner of minutes then 2 different cal and cartridges could cover most anything you would like too do I built and have a lot of custom rifles last yr I did something a little different after building a 6.5 prc on a pre 64 mod 70 win I had Straight Jacket Armory barrel up a prefit 6.5 Prc on a Curtis Axiom Action with a diamond trigger tech trigger Proof 26 in barrel with a West Tx switch Lug and a Ag stock the switch lug allows a barrel change too a different cartridge in a manner of min I was a little skeptical on the switch Lug but it is as accurate if not more than any rifle I own it adds about 150 dollars too the cost of the build that way you can have multiple of diff calibers with the same action trigger stock and scope

Definitely get your brass and bullets secured before you pick a chambering, but 6x47 sounds like what you have picked and there is no reason to be talked out of it. It will do nicely on 300 pounders and under. Just because you are on LRH does not mean you have to shoot your game at 1K, 500 yards is a looong ways. There are many 6mm bullets that give absolute and fantastic performance. I have not really noticed a big difference between white tail and mule deer either. Pound for pound, shot for shot they seem to die just about exactly the same. Mulies do look stouter and have been sold that way.

The 6.5 PRC is, the very, LAST Cartridge that, I would build, a Rifle around, right NOW !
Try to find,.. Brass, Bullets, Ammo !
IF, you "need" a longer range, "bigger" Deer round go with, the .270 WSM
The 140 grain, Berger Classic Hunters ( .528 BC ) "Launched" at 3,175 FPS, is still going over, 2,000 FPS at 800 Yards !
Plenty Powerful enough for, Deer / Elk out to that, far ( IF, you could,.. hit one ? ).
But, but, BUT the,. BC's ,.. !!!
LOL, the .270 WSM, gets it DONE for, a LOT of Hunters !
And Bullets,.. ARE,.. available !

I would second this if hunting is your main objective. If it will be more long range steel then the 6mm's are perfect. For antelope the 6mm is more than adequate. The 6.5 gives you more heavier hunting bullet choices for mule deer and elk.

I use a 6BR with a 105 hybrid out to 1800 yards in NRL comps. I hunt with a 6.5 SS for elk. Once you hunt out west for mule deer you'll be back for elk.
Love that!! You got me thinking about elk now 😃sure hope that works out.

Well choices can be overwhelming. I build my rifles with a goal whether that be like now a fast twist 257 WTBY mag to shoot heavy bullets for hunting. Or shooting long range steel. I built one one thinking it would be a "do it all" rifle well that one definitely came up short its a nice rifle and all but do it all it is not.

I built a 243 win for my daughter and tried to keep it on the light side. It is based of a old arnold arms action and rock creek CF barrel only 20inches. It shoots 80 gr hammer hunters outstanding. Rifle ready to hunt is just over 8lbs with scope sling and mag full. She has killed about everything with it several deer 2 cow elk and 2 black bears and it just shuts their lights off. She did neck shoot both elk (DRT). She uses it for rock chucks and coyotes too. My point being if i build a rifle to hunt with it needs to fit that role. If I build a long range bench gun I want the looong barrel I dont care what it weighs to a point. Does my daughter shoot it to 500 yards alot well she loves too. Longest big game 324 yards on deer=bang flop.

You said Mule deer. I agree they are harder to kill than antelope a little more hardy lets say. The fact is tho any caliber you mentioned will kill them quite handily if you put one in the boiler room.

Enjoy the process cause the outcome will likely exceed your expectations. Quality components and smith will make you a happy new rifle owner.

Post up when you finish we all like to see new rifles :)
Really appreciate that. I will be sure to post pics when done.

So....components and caliber selection have been covered for sure. Here's the rub, no matter the cost or quality of your components if they are not assembled correctly, you'll end up with an expensive paperweight. There are a lot processes and ways to build a custom rifle, and not all are equal. Make sure you do homework with your gunsmith. I like to call it tolerance stacking, a thou out here, a thou out there, and you will have a headache on your hands. I've seen where people spend thousands on a custom rifle build and it looks gorgeous but shoots terrible. Don't be afraid to ask questions, I really like to explain things to my customers and if you have any questions feel free to hit me up.
Thanks! I will keep that in mind!

If you can do a switch lug you can change barrels and calibers youself in a manner of minutes then 2 different cal and cartridges could cover most anything you would like too do I built and have a lot of custom rifles last yr I did something a little different after building a 6.5 prc on a pre 64 mod 70 win I had Straight Jacket Armory barrel up a prefit 6.5 Prc on a Curtis Axiom Action with a diamond trigger tech trigger Proof 26 in barrel with a West Tx switch Lug and a Ag stock the switch lug allows a barrel change too a different cartridge in a manner of min I was a little skeptical on the switch Lug but it is as accurate if not more than any rifle I own it adds about 150 dollars too the cost of the build that way you can have multiple of diff calibers with the same action trigger stock and scope
I like that idea! Didn't realize there was a certain switch lug but I will have that for sure. Will give me a chance to try a couple different barrel contours or even calibers.

I think that if you decide on a cartridge that requires a larger bolt face Defiance will work with you on it.