First custom rifle build (flood me with your suggestions or advice)

First off I am an avid hunter, absolutely new and green to the reloading process and long range shooting. I have a cousin that is a genius at this and have talked much with him on suggestions / feedback which has led me to start shying away from standard rifles and delve into custom.
my question is: based on the wealth of knowledge and experiences present here I welcome your thoughts and feedback on how you would conduct the build - any details are appreciated.
I have a Defiance Deviant (short / medium) action with a jewell trigger. I am between McMillan or manners stock and all but sold on nightforce optic. My goal is 6x47 lapua.
barrel preferences on twist, make, style, anything welcome. Fire away 😃
Thanks in advance!
I almost went with a 6x47. But went with the 6mm-284 instead. I use Lapua 6.5-284 brass for it. Easy to neck down. And it is a screamer. Send the 110 ATips at 3280 FPS (after barrel settled down). Crushed a buck at 1207 yards with it last season. It is a laser. Shoots in the 2s if I do my job: ragged holes at 100-200 and tiny little groups on steel at a grand.
Defiance rebel
Proof 22 in 1-7.5 twist
McMillan Game warden stock
Trigger Tech Diamond set at 15oz
Gunwerks 6ix can

E79592F6-EDFB-4CE8-A899-9002E09F90BD.jpeg
Three shots 1120 yards deviant long action 280 ackley 1 in 8 twist 180 eldx at 2970 gray Boe stock nf 8x32

I almost went with a 6x47. But went with the 6mm-284 instead. I use Lapua 6.5-284 brass for it. Easy to neck down. And it is a screamer. Send the 110 ATips at 3280 FPS (after barrel settled down). Crushed a buck at 1207 yards with it last season. It is a laser. Shoots in the 2s if I do my job: ragged holes at 100-200 and tiny little groups on steel at a grand.
Defiance rebel
Proof 22 in 1-7.5 twist
McMillan Game warden stock
Trigger Tech Diamond set at 15oz
Gunwerks 6ix can
What you hoping for in throat life. Got to be fun to shoot . I was a RSO and instructor at 1100 range. Seeing impacts on steel at sea level in our mirage was problem even with 6.5 some days . That's got to make a nice splash can you see it in the soup

First off I am an avid hunter, absolutely new and green to the reloading process and long range shooting. I have a cousin that is a genius at this and have talked much with him on suggestions / feedback which has led me to start shying away from standard rifles and delve into custom.
my question is: based on the wealth of knowledge and experiences present here I welcome your thoughts and feedback on how you would conduct the build - any details are appreciated.
I have a Defiance Deviant (short / medium) action with a jewell trigger. I am between McMillan or manners stock and all but sold on nightforce optic. My goal is 6x47 lapua.
Thanks in advance!
I love my bartline barrel it's a heavy .223 1-7.7 twist I have another exactly the same except twist the new one is 1-7

Thanks in advance!

no matter the barrel, do not get a straight taper lol.

i'm making my mistake on that work lol, and it's not a woods gun, even if i cut it back to 20" lol

https://redhawkrifles.com/ are running a special on stock and bottom metal

Last edited:
I went 6 XC for BETTER Barrel Life, as Custom Rifles ARE, fairly Expensive and Time consuming, to "Build" !
I went, 24", 1-7.5 Twist and the 108 gr Berger, Elite Hunters,.. shoot in the 3's
Shoots 80 Berger F B Varmints, into tiny, Cloverleaf's, too !
IMO,.. IF you Reload, the .243 Win "Barrel Burner" is,.. obsolete ! SORRY if that, "offends", anyone !
Used, Norma Brass, StaBall 65 Powder ( throws beautifully ) CCI pr's and Forster Dies.
Best 6mm for, Varmints to Deer / Antelope,.. IMHO !

So....components and caliber selection have been covered for sure. Here's the rub, no matter the cost or quality of your components if they are not assembled correctly, you'll end up with an expensive paperweight. There are a lot processes and ways to build a custom rifle, and not all are equal. Make sure you do homework with your gunsmith. I like to call it tolerance stacking, a thou out here, a thou out there, and you will have a headache on your hands. I've seen where people spend thousands on a custom rifle build and it looks gorgeous but shoots terrible. Don't be afraid to ask questions, I really like to explain things to my customers and if you have any questions feel free to hit me up.

Very interesting. With McMillan and manners experience I am intrigued with your nod toward AG that is for sure something i hadn't considered and will check out. Also for the bottom metal I actually went with a single shot - the thought was (based on feedback) that it would keep everything more rigid without the missing mag material. What are you're thoughts on bottom for that and the single shot direction?
And I agree. I love it so far can't wait until it's done!
I called Ag Comp, and I shared with them barrel width, SR3 action info, and bottom metal info (Hawkins Precision Oberndorf M5). AG Comp the entered my info into CNC machine. The fit to my parts was perfect. A gunsmith friend,!with a barrel vice and action wrench, assembled everything in 20 minutes 😊for a single shot build, I believe one needs the correct part. I'd call AG Comp and get their recommendations for constructing your ss rifle. I have two Ruger No 1st and I learned to shoot in the 60's with a single shot .22. 🥂

plan to book either Muley or antelope hunt in 2022 and use this build for that.
Hmmm....that, 500 yd shooting and a 6mm don't really compute. Loprs of guys supporting your choice, but frankly, I think a 6mm is way too small.

25, maybe....6.5 better....6.8-7mm are ideal...30 is more versatile, but a touch oversized.

My gut feeling is rounds like 6.5 prc, 6.5x284, 6.8 Western, 270 WSM (throated for bigger bullets), 280AI would all be nice longer range deer slayers.

Also, I would spend some time finding a gunsmith that speaks your language. I have a buddy that dropped good money at GAP, and is very satisfied.

There are basically 3 kinds of gunsmiths, IMO. Full service, I listen and build what I think I heard you say you gunsmiths. Package guys, willing to build full custom, but basically build from packages. ....do it all guys....these guys often have the best experience. They seem to take almost any job as a challenge, but you really have to tell them each detail you want.

I'm sure every gunsmith is an individual, but this was kind of what I've seen. For a first high end build, a full service place like GAP, makes a lot of sense.

What you hoping for in throat life. Got to be fun to shoot . I was a RSO and instructor at 1100 range. Seeing impacts on steel at sea level in our mirage was problem even with 6.5 some days . That's got to make a nice splash can you see it in the soup
The friend who gave me the idea, had his throat last about 600 rounds. I'm hoping to last somewhere around 700, any more will be a win. I don't shoot strings, just one and wait. I think it can go longer but not at the accuracy I would like. A new barrel is definitely in the future. I love this little round though, I think the new barrel will be another 6-284.
We are shooting at 5000-7000 feet elevation, and we try to shoot in the early morning. We can usually get to 9:00-10:00 before the temps rise and the mirage gets too bad. In the evening, we just have to drive and check the impacts. Allows for fresh paint and pictures if warranted. 😜

I my self am not opposed to hunting with a heavy rifle. It's a wonderful experience to feel little recoil. However what you pack in you pack out. The next opinion I have to share is this. The super light wheight rifles of today with ridiculous heavy calibers are (cough cough christensen arms cough....) ahem bug in my throat. Are good examples for how space tech you can get. Check out their patterns and go from their. Hope the 6.5 serves you well.