First custom rifle build (flood me with your suggestions or advice)

jeremy_f24

First off I am an avid hunter, absolutely new and green to the reloading process and long range shooting. I have a cousin that is a genius at this and have talked much with him on suggestions / feedback which has led me to start shying away from standard rifles and delve into custom.
my question is: based on the wealth of knowledge and experiences present here I welcome your thoughts and feedback on how you would conduct the build - any details are appreciated.
I have a Defiance Deviant (short / medium) action with a jewell trigger. I am between McMillan or manners stock and all but sold on nightforce optic. My goal is 6x47 lapua.
barrel preferences on twist, make, style, anything welcome. Fire away 😃
Thanks in advance!

Need a goal.

Hunting? Hiking/ carrying? Game? Distance?

I also prefer my rifle to be able to hunt with.

I don't like heavy rifles.... but they need to be solid enough to hit something way out there

Pesonally I'd go
Manners EH-2
#3 or fluted #4 steel or #4 bartlein carbon
22 inch - and twist for whatever bullet you want
I wouldn't put a brake on it, but if you did it would barely move for spotting shots.

Since you are targeting the 6mm, I would look at minimum twist rates for any of the heavy for caliber bullets and mono bullets that are out there. Also, provide a dummy cartridge with the longest bullet you decide on so you don't seat these longer bullets deep into the case. Your friend can provide insight and discuss with the Smith doing chamber work.
The 6mm is small so you need as much bullet weight as the animals you are targeting, distance and terminal velocity/performance. There are limiting factors.
I'm not talking you out of a 6mm, but modeling it's performance in energy, speed and drop will provide distance boundaries you should consider for hunting.

Need a goal.

Hunting? Hiking/ carrying? Game? Distance?

I also prefer my rifle to be able to hunt with.

I don't like heavy rifles.... but they need to be solid enough to hit something way out there

Pesonally I'd go
Manners EH-2
#3 or fluted #4 steel or #4 bartlein carbon
22 inch - and twist for whatever bullet you want
I wouldn't put a brake on it, but if you did it would barely move for spotting shots.
Good feedback sir. Appreciate it. Being new to this I feel 500 yards is a long shot but I know that can and will change as I learn and push myself. Again I am new to this but I don't mind something pretty solid because I will be doing a lot of bench shooting with this first build to really fine tune, fundamentals, etc but I do plan to book either Muley or antelope hunt in 2022 and use this build for that. (Or something along that line welcome to suggestions). I am not worried about it needing to be super light for packing as I don't want to sacrifice rigidity for that - don't mind lugging around. (Curious what weight you target and distance you feel comfortable with as well). Thanks

I have been very pleased with various .243 W's over many years and have used them for multiple purposes including NRA Hi-Power up to 600 yards. The .243W has won many events & is a practical cartridge and does very well with 87-107 grain bullets using powders in the 4350-4831 range. My current .243W a common Ruger MKII, has a 26", #4 McGowen, 8 twist barrel and weighs about 8.5 pounds with a 4.5-14X50 Leupold LRP scope. As for the 6mmX47Lapua - pricy to get started, limited availability but high quality Lapua brass at about $1.20 ea. but a worthy cartridge. The 6mm CM might also be considered.

First off I am an avid hunter, absolutely new and green to the reloading process and long range shooting. I have a cousin that is a genius at this and have talked much with him on suggestions / feedback which has led me to start shying away from standard rifles and delve into custom.
my question is: based on the wealth of knowledge and experiences present here I welcome your thoughts and feedback on how you would conduct the build - any details are appreciated.
I have a Defiance Deviant (short / medium) action with a jewell trigger. I am between McMillan or manners stock and all but sold on nightforce optic. My goal is 6x47 lapua.
barrel preferences on twist, make, style, anything welcome. Fire away 😃
Thanks in advance!
Well you've got a great action you picked a very good caliber I would go with an eight twist barrel any of the top brand names although I like the looks of a proof carbon barrel (I've had several and they have all shot great one half minute or less)have an prefer nightforce optics and I also like manners stocks (EH1a)
1477E74A-0D21-413F-9216-6989CFB92D11.jpeg

Good feedback sir. Appreciate it. Being new to this I feel 500 yards is a long shot but I know that can and will change as I learn and push myself. Again I am new to this but I don't mind something pretty solid because I will be doing a lot of bench shooting with this first build to really fine tune, fundamentals, etc but I do plan to book either Muley or antelope hunt in 2022 and use this build for that. (Or something along that line welcome to suggestions). I am not worried about it needing to be super light for packing as I don't want to sacrifice rigidity for that - don't mind lugging around. (Curious what weight you target and distance you feel comfortable with as well). Thanks
Well, you mentioned Mule deer so I would go with the 6.5X47 instead of the 6x47. Trust me, the 6.5X47 has a little more umph and is extremely accurate and consistent with the right setup. I also use mine for bench work mostly and the occasional antelope and deer hunt.

Since you are targeting the 6mm, I would look at minimum twist rates for any of the heavy for caliber bullets and mono bullets that are out there. Also, provide a dummy cartridge with the longest bullet you decide on so you don't seat these longer bullets deep into the case. Your friend can provide insight and discuss with the Smith doing chamber work.
The 6mm is small so you need as much bullet weight as the animals you are targeting, distance and terminal velocity/performance. There are limiting factors.
I'm not talking you out of a 6mm, but modeling it's performance in energy, speed and drop will provide distance boundaries you should consider for hunting.
Thanks. Good feedback. From what I have researched the 6mm seems unmatched in terms of load development precision and bc. Guys that have these swear by them. I agree though I need to do some digging on bullets. Still a long way to go. Any thoughts on barrel-contour, manuf. stock or must do's?
Thanks

In today's circumstances, many components tough to get and could continue for a while - being your interest is in 6mm and muley and antelope on the menu, I'd consider a fast twist .243 Win. If that is too mundane, .243AI?
Good point. These components are definitely a factor. I do like the 243. I will definitely put 243 on the menu. Just curious - how much difference between the 2 243's? Certain limits on either? Who knows when / if I will build another so want to consider everything and no need to settle for this build - will explore all thoughts. Any preference on remaining build components or overall weight?

Here's a better comparison than I can offer:

Thanks. Good feedback. From what I have researched the 6mm seems unmatched in terms of load development precision and bc. Guys that have these swear by them. I agree though I need to do some digging on bullets. Still a long way to go. Any thoughts on barrel-contour, manuf. stock or must do's?
Thanks
The 6mm bullet is an excellent killer and it seems to fit your needs as a midrange performer, lighter animals.
All the rest is getting into personal preference. My rifles weigh more, larger calibers. I'm 64 and it took me a while to figure out that "sitting and glassing" and not tromping around, exposes way more animals in the desert SW.
With that in mind, a 24-26" medium contour barrel fits my needs. A light composite stock, a great adjustable bipod, 14 power or higher scope, high end quality, would probably net about 10 lbs or less. That could get you to 600 on a calm day I would roughly estimate. But, I would try to close that gap to be sure.
If I built that with my gunsmith, I would guess you'll be ready to shoot after spending $2700 or more, since you have the action.
Reloading supplies, optional $$.

Jeremy, you are off to a great start with your Defiance action and Jewel trigger. There are several excellent barrel makers out there and their tech support will also help you. I have builds with Bartlein ss, MPA ss and Proof CF. A tip would be to check into the companies delivery time And also check out places that have a good selection of several in stock barrel, such as bugholes, Stocky's, Red Hawk Rifles, et al. Twist rate will depend on you bullet weight, I'm seeing 1:7.5 to 1:8".
I have a Manners EH-1, McMillan Game Warden and AG Composite Visigoth stocks. My favorite is the AG Comp.
You will need to choose your bottom metal magazine style ala BDL or DBM. Have fun - there is something special about building your own rifle :)