First custom: machining everything myself

livetohunt

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Team Member
LRH Sponsor
Figured I would start this thread now that I’m finally making some progress.

As a new dad finding the money for a defiance, BAT or Stiller quality action would have been hard for me. So after a year of drooling over customs on here I decided to make my own custom. I will be machining the receiver and bolt myself. I purchased parts for extractor firing pin assembly etc.

So far I have the receivers OD finished, faced To +.002 to the lug face, bored to the thread minor, and drilled thru for a wire EDM start hole.

Over the weekend I finished the titanium bolt knob and titanium dual port “mini brake”.

It will be chambered in 6.5 SS, I picked up the barrel prechambered from Rich.

Attachments

livetohunt

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Team Member
LRH Sponsor
At the current moment I’m running a cnc mill, cnc wire EDM, and a cnc sinker EDM. I can do it all the myself. But I’m working on the project with a coworker and he is in charge of the wire EDM for the raceways.
Should be working on fixturing for the bolt raceways after work tonight.

Last edited:

livetohunt

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Team Member
LRH Sponsor
I’ll take whatever recommendations anyone may have for the build into consideration. Sky’s the limit! As long as the material is cheap!

Just cut

That’s awesome I can’t wait to see the finished product.

MudRunner2005

VERY NICE! Are you cloning the R700? I ask because it has that lug cutout in the front (first picture).

Last edited:

FEENIX

LRH Team Member
Looks like you have the tools and equipment and the systems know-how to "innovate" ... go for it!

livetohunt

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Team Member
LRH Sponsor
That’s my bergara action I tore apart to measure everything and design a solid based off the dimensions from
That And info from other sources also. It’s a m700 clone but with side bolt release. I don’t like the shroud on the bergara action to locate the recoil lug, planning on coming up with something else.

Trending threads