First custom build and I have a couple questions.

Just skip all that nonsense, and go straight to the Berger 168 and 180 offerings.

As for powders, 7828 SSC is what I have narrowed down for my magnum calibers. Used to use Reloder 19, 22, and H1000, but no longer use them because they're temp instability and massive variance between powder lots.

Triggers....Jewell is the best, Timneys are nice, too. A well-adjusted old style Remington trigger will work great, too, for hunting applications.

These are just simply my opinions, though. Good luck. And it sounds like you're gonna have a nice rifle. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

I have not done a temperature sensitivity test with IMR 7828 as of yet, I do run my rounds through a chrono at known hunting temps but all have been consistent around 50-60 degrees..... What are your findings? I am really curious!!! thx

MudRunner- My gunsmith told me the same thing, that he never does that on any of his rifles. But I read so much stuff. It gets a little confusing sometimes. Same thing goes for the Berger bullets. I am willing to give them a try if I can find any. Those are some impressive velocities with 168's. I assume that is from a 26" or longer tube? I was going into this hoping I could get 3000 with 168's. Thanks again for your input and everyone else's also.
Yep, 26" barrel, 7828 SSC, and Federal 215M primers. I also use Nosler brass.

I have not done a temperature sensitivity test with IMR 7828 as of yet, I do run my rounds through a chrono at known hunting temps but all have been consistent around 50-60 degrees..... What are your findings? I am really curious!!! thx
Well, when hunting this past year, the first deer I shot it was 15 degrees outside. The second one I shot was in the afternoon, on the following day. And it was about 40-50 degrees outside. And I didn't have any issues. But it's hard to tell when shooting inside of 200 yards.

I haven't tested that load in the summer yet to see how stable it is, but I developed that load during the wintertime on purpose, as a specific hunting load.

Mud, I love how you just get right to the point!
Well, no sense in pawing all around the issue. I've shot and tried alot of different bullets over my lifetime, and there's a reason why I still use what I do, and why I no longer use what I used to. :D

I will never intentionally steer anyone in a wrong direction.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts