First coyote of the season!

Xs24-7

I got a message from a friend on Facebook that he knew a farmer with a coyote problem. They are in his dairy farm, coming up to the house and causing trouble with his dogs/cats.
After touring the place yesterday, my 8 year old son and I hid in a rock pile about 300 yards from the edge of the bush at first light this morning, and setup the FoxPro 70 yards away.
After waiting 10 minutes for the sun to rise a bit, I turned on some snowshoe in distress. Starting low I worked up the volume, not wanting to spook anything close. After about 5 minutes I spotted movement near the trees. I whispered to Connor they were coming. The first 2 cleared the bush and headed straight down wind of the call, before turning towards it. They were lit up in the field and it was awesome to see them charging in. 3 more followed out of the bush, and quickly I was trying to sort out which one to shoot first!
The 2 lead dogs go down wind of me and started to spook, but the third in line stood at 196 yards facing me. The 6mm Creedmoor barked and she fell over stoned. When I shot the others took off as well, leaving me with 1 dead coyote, and a fired up third grader. He's never been hunting with me before, and the bar is set really high now!

Attachments

• EEEE98BB-349D-48BC-B0DD-C559A7BFDD91.jpeg
    EEEE98BB-349D-48BC-B0DD-C559A7BFDD91.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 200
  • F1A4447E-F38A-4FBB-A358-BE5182C0D2C2.jpeg
    F1A4447E-F38A-4FBB-A358-BE5182C0D2C2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 210
Good work! Helping solve coyote problems is a great way to get a foot in the door with ranchers. In a couple of cases, proving myself in this way has resulted in exclusive hunting access to some great habitat come big game season.

Good work! Helping solve coyote problems is a great way to get a foot in the door with ranchers. In a couple of cases, proving myself in this way has resulted in exclusive hunting access to some great habitat come big game season.
Yup, this farmer has already gave me permission for whitetail next fall because of this. It's a good way to open doors for sure!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.