First coyote of 2019

theosmithjr

Well I went out 3 nights last week hunting Coyote here in Pennsylvania, and I went out again last night. I heard them yippin & squealing last week; but I did more than just hear them last night. I bagged my first Coyote of 2019. I'm 20 miles North of downtown Pittsburgh, PA. Many people THINK that coyotes are only "Up in the Mountains", well, I hear em all the time. I've hunted them for the last few years, but not seriously. I'm an avid Shooter, mostly Groundhogs, and I hunt Deer as well. I shoot Steel for fun when not Bangin Hogs! I've been chasing hogs, shooting and reloading for well over 50 years, and now I'm OBSESSED with those Wiley Coyotes! Last night I bagged my 1st of the year, and I fully intend on increasing that number each and every week of this year! The Groundhogs are Hibernating. Deer seasons over. Paper and Steel are great fun, but they lack the excitement of the set up, the calling em in. The listening for return yelps, barks and squeals of the approaching pack that I called in. The quick sighting of the hungry coyote as he rushes into view. The BARK of my rifle that SILENCES his or hers bark forever! One of the greatest nights and memory of my life! I'm looking forward to many more this and every year of my life! YEP, I'd say I'm DEFINETLY HOOKED on COYOTE Hunting.

Attachments

• 20190217_101159.jpg
    20190217_101159.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 181
  • 20190217_152153.jpg
    20190217_152153.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
One question to you fellas that hunt Coyotes regularly; what do you do with the carcasses after skinning them out? I've taken 3 others in prior years; but this was the 1st I skinned out myself. I thought "Wow, lotta meat & bones here." So I began to wonder; do some of you consume the meat? Feed it to your dogs? Bury it in the garden? Toss it in the trash? I was raised & taught to USE what I Kill. No Way could I ask my wife to prepare me a pot of YOTE STEW! I could not just throw it away, so I took the carcass back to the farm I killed it at and left it for the remainder of the pack and other scavengers. Just wondering what you fellas do with em? Thanks Theosmithjr

Outstanding hunt and great trophy. Check out the Threads, Eating Coyote and Hanging Coyote. Smart man in not dragging one into the kitchen. Few of us get a chance to hunt those Eastern dogs. We would appreciate any tips you would pass along. Please post them under the Thread, Coyote Hunting Tips.

Congrats on the first dog of the year! I myself have been pushing a little harder as more and more coyotes have been attacking local pets. Due to 2 unfortunate events I was able to obtain permission on 2 property's less then 3 mins from my place that have never been hunted before and have been seeing more yotes this year then ever before! Nothing like that coyote popping up out of no where! Yesterday morning we hit a new property for the first time after the owner approaching us about a problem he has, walking into the stand there was 2 dogs out in the field. Trying to get set up my brother dumps the first one a 263yards and the second makes too much distance too fast before we could get off another shot. We pack up and head to the second property when the owner texts me saying his employees just spotted another behind there burn pit. Quick u-turn and high tail it back to the property. Quickly get set up and turn on the foxpro and within 30 seconds here he comes! Little yelp stops him at 250yards I'm the dot quick shot by my brother drops him but he bounced back up real quick, a follow up shot by myself finished him off! Nice way to start the morning!

What are you shooting for these coyotes?

Outstanding hunt and great trophy. Check out the Threads, Eating Coyote and Hanging Coyote. Smart man in not dragging one into the kitchen. Few of us get a chance to hunt those Eastern dogs. We would appreciate any tips you would pass along. Please post them under the Thread, Coyote Hunting Tips.
I most certainly will. Thank you sir. Theosmithjr

Congrats on the first dog of the year! I myself have been pushing a little harder as more and more coyotes have been attacking local pets. Due to 2 unfortunate events I was able to obtain permission on 2 property's less then 3 mins from my place that have never been hunted before and have been seeing more yotes this year then ever before! Nothing like that coyote popping up out of no where! Yesterday morning we hit a new property for the first time after the owner approaching us about a problem he has, walking into the stand there was 2 dogs out in the field. Trying to get set up my brother dumps the first one a 263yards and the second makes too much distance too fast before we could get off another shot. We pack up and head to the second property when the owner texts me saying his employees just spotted another behind there burn pit. Quick u-turn and high tail it back to the property. Quickly get set up and turn on the foxpro and within 30 seconds here he comes! Little yelp stops him at 250yards I'm the dot quick shot by my brother drops him but he bounced back up real quick, a follow up shot by myself finished him off! Nice way to start the morning!

I use a Savage .22 Mag with a 4x14x50mm out to 225 -250 yards. Or my Custom built .17VLR. It shoots a .37gr BergerVLD @ 4600fps. I build it with a REM. SS 700 action, HART 3/4" Stainless Straight Taper 1 in 6 twist, on a McMillen Anshutz FLAME PATTERN Thumbhole Stock. Dropped in a JEWELL Trigger, Personalized Alum. BUTT PLATE, and topped her off with a Silver 10x 50mm Silver Luepold with Target Knobs. I DRILL Silver Dollars with her out to 500 yards!
Theosmithjr

Nice job. I never had any luck with eastern coyotes while I was growing up they are much harder to hunt there. Living in CO now Ive killed a bunch. I killed two more this morning and I'll be honest I've lost track of how many I've killed this year. I don't eat them BTW but I've been getting between $15 and $100 dollars per dog this winter for fur.

I use 2 rifles, a Savage .22 Mag with a BULL Barrel and Match trigger topped off with a 4x14x50mm scope out to 225 -250 yards. When they're out to 550 - 600 yards I reach for my LAZER BEAM! It's a Custom built .17VLR. Shoots a .37gr Berger VLD at 4600fps. I started with a REM. 700 SS action, .223 Bolt face. The .17VLR is a .223 Lapaua necked down to .172 then Neck Turned for my tight chamber. HART SS Match 1 in 6 twist in a 28" Straight 3/4" barrel. On a McMillen Flame colored Anshutz Thumbhole stock, with a Jewell trigger and a Persoalized Engraved Aluminum buttplate. She shoots Silver Dollars out to 500yds. and leaves VAPOR TRAILS!
Theosmithjr

One question to you fellas that hunt Coyotes regularly; what do you do with the carcasses after skinning them out? I've taken 3 others in prior years; but this was the 1st I skinned out myself. I thought "Wow, lotta meat & bones here." So I began to wonder; do some of you consume the meat? Feed it to your dogs? Bury it in the garden? Toss it in the trash? I was raised & taught to USE what I Kill. No Way could I ask my wife to prepare me a pot of YOTE STEW! I could not just throw it away, so I took the carcass back to the farm I killed it at and left it for the remainder of the pack and other scavengers. Just wondering what you fellas do with em? Thanks Theosmithjr

Steve Rinella (Meateater) has a video on youtube of him and a buddy preparing and eating a coyote - they said it doesn't taste too bad, but I will take their word for it...i dump their carcass off the side of the road somewhere - I have been tubing them out in the field lately.

Ok I will & Thank you sir. Theosmithjr

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.