First Bull tag nevada Requesting advice

rockwind

deserty portion of the SW portion of Merica
So after 55 years living in Nevada I finally drew my first ever Bull tag,, for anywhere, period. never hunted a bull before. Nov 6-20. Can't afford a guide so going to have to DYI it, like 6K for a guide. nevada is weird when it comes to guides anyway,,, every single male north of las vegas and east of reno calls themself a guide

Would appreciate any general info or tips. I'm in decent shape and have been hunting all my life. But I find myself slightly unprepared for this hunt as I wasn't expecting to draw it.

Elk call Recommendations? Do I even need one?

guns? Wish this were simpler but sadly I have too many guns.

first choice. 6.5 saum extreme hunter by GAP Shooting a 142 smk @3070 fps. I love this gun and I killed many animals with it. It's nice and light weight

2nd choice. The classic 7 mm Remington mag in a custom hunting rifle. I'll probably have to work up a load for this one, I have 180 burger hybrids or I even have those newer Berger 182(?) f class bullets,,,Using Nosler brass and H 1000. I have already worked up a load for this one but not with those bullets I believe I had a 180 vld Obviously this guy is heavier to haul around. anyone know of factory super high quality 7mm rem mag ammo with 180 ish gr bullets? and for god sakes, DO NOT say copper creek. that guy sucks.

3 rd choice Custom defensive edge 338 terminator (338 A.I.). I've got some old applied ballistics ammo 338 ammo (300 berger otm)that shoots great through this at about 2700 ish fps but I could also work up a custom load to get it to shoot a lot faster, up to 3100 fps. this gun is a tank with a scope,, 17 lbs or something.

to be honest,,, i hate reloading and avoid it if at all possible,, would rather spend my time scouting.

out of these, the 6.5 saum is the only one i can for sure spot my shots with,,, the 7mm, 80% of the time,,, the 338 maybe 60% of the times i can see shot impact,, and that is only on the long shots, like 800+ yards,, i have time to get back on target with scope

Last edited:
First off congrats! I may be able to help with a little info depending on your size expectations. I think that with that tag I would be looking at some of the better units. For your gun I think that would depend on what you comfortable for shooting distances. I for sure would stay with one of the lighter rifles unless you are hunting out of a truck.

Last edited:
First off congrats! I may be able to help with a little info depending on your size expectations. I think that with that tag I would be looking at some of the better units. For your gun I think that would depend on what you comfortable for shooting distances. I for sure would stay with one of the lighter rifles unless you are hunting out of a truck.
Sent pm

Congrats!What zone?Nevada is awesome- had my bull tag in 2015 and my dad last year.I would use whatever gun you are most comfortable with.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts