First Build (savage 110 / Stevens 200). Help!

Tarheelpwr

Hi,

So, I've decided to make a .300 win mag project based on a Stevens 200 action. I was hoping to get some input and help.

I planned on a full, all out build with PAC-Nor barrel, tactical stock and the whole 9, but I think im leaning against that for a mor budget build since its a hunter and prob 500-600 yards max. Let me know if my goals will be met and reasoning is solid.

Obviously, I'll be starting with a Stevens 200 .300 win mag and stripping it for the action to sell excess parts. What are the key features I need to know that will hurt accuracy? Is trueing as blueprinting an action the same thing?

I plan on a Boyd's stock, either Varmit Thumbhole or the traditional with raised cheek area (I forget the name). I also looked at stocky's stocks. They're about 2x the price of Boyd's. Do they offer any advantage, or should I go with Boyd's?

For the barrel, I'm leaning towards E R Shaw. The more I read the more it looks like they're very good as long as the smith does his part. I'm not sure if I should get an ER brake put in the barrel or aftermarket attached. What are the pros & cons of each type of brake.

I'll get into rings, base, optics down the road. It'll likely be a 6.5-20 vortex viper. I'll also talk bipod, sling, and everything else down the road as well.

So anyways, with all this in mind, I have no experience with guns. I mechanically able though. Why parts of the process can I tackle, and what parts are too accuracy sensitive should I leave to the smith?

Will this build be capable of 1/2 - 1 MOA assuming I'm capable of it,

Also, what other things can I do to help the build? Are recoil lugs worth it?

I also would like to control recoil as much as possible as a minor side note.

Thanks,
Tarheel

Edit. I plan to change the trigger. I was leaning to Sharpsshooter supply trigger to get about a 1# pull. I'm still open/ignorant on triggers, so input is welcome.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I've checked them out, but I like the extra weight from the laminate. The prices seem a but steep compared to say B&C and the like.

The saver options are an option. It really comes down to whether I decide on a custom camo or a stainless bbl & wood.

I like the boyd's I have the laminate thumbhole on my Marlin .308 and love it, if i do my part with the right loads the gun is a 3/4moa rifle, so I'd say they work for pretty good accuracy. My Savage build is going in an XLR chassis with a McGowen barrel.

Spend the money on the barrel now and save money on the parts that are easier and cheaper to upgrade. Get a McGowan, Shilen, Criterion, or Pacnor. Shaw is a decent barrel but not much of an upgrade from factory.

Ross Schuler and his partner make the best brakes for the $$. Headspace your barrel, mark TDC and send it to Ross.

For a stock, the Boyd is fine once it is pillar'd and bedded. No reason to spend more on the laminates from Stocky. Or, a better value would be a takeoff stock from a 112 BVSS rifle.

I've had very good luck with the factory 3 screw triggers. They won't go down to 1#, but you can get them very crisp and light enough with a new spring wire and careful adjustment.

For rings and bases I prefer Burris Xtreme bases and Burris Signature Zee's. All steel, protect your scope, and can put in more than enough angle that you won't need a MOA rail.

Viper is a good choice for scope. Good features for the $$. Be aware, the long range HS models have 1/2" elevation clicks.

I've built a Savage or two. Let me know if you have any more questions.

For a barrel I'd also recommend spending a bit more too. Take a look at the Criterion barrels Northland Shooters Supply is selling. I have heard nothing but great things about them on another savage enthusiast forum. They sound like great performers for the price.

For a trigger, you might consider how you're going to be using the rifle. I have a factory savage 112 VLP in 300wm with the accutrigger set to about 1 3/4 lbs. I thought that was a good trigger until i got a sharp shooters supply trigger set to 1.5 lbs. for the Stevens 338 Edge build I'm working on. It blows the accutrigger out of the water IMHO. However, I don't know that I'd put a good trigger with that low of a pull weight on my stalking rifle (VLP) out of concerns for safety. With the accutrigger I know exactly when it will break because of the safety sear in the trigger shoe. With the SSS trigger, it breaks like glass and not when I'm expecting it at all. IMO that could be detrimental for offhand shots in the trees or situations like that. For a more dedicated LRH rifle, I'd definitely go with SSS with a low trigger pull weight. Just depends how you're going to use the rifle.

For a stock, I 2nd the recommendation for finding a take off BVSS stalk if you're looking for laminate and a more vertical grip. If you're looking for a more open, quick handling grip for a stalking rifle, check out the B&C Duramaxx and add a check rest. Sharp shooter's supply also makes good laminate stocks but I think they are a little more spendy than the Boyds. I've also heard a lot of good things about Stocky's stocks. There are a lot of routes you could go depending on the configuration and material you want. Really comes down to personal preference. Heck I have also seen some pretty wild stocks made from crappy savage/stevens tupperware stocks modified with bondo. That'd be the ultimate low budget stock.

Savages are great because you can do a lot of the smithing yourself. With a barrel nut wrench and action wrench you can headspace the barrel yourself. You can swap out bolt handles and install aftermarket triggers yourself. Check out the bolt lift kit for an easier bolt lift. I think Geargrinder knows a lot more about that (and many other things Savage) than I based on his posts on the other savage forum. Or if cost is not much of an issue you could have SSS do the timing and truing work they have developed. I had that done on my 338 edge build and it really makes the bolt work slick. Not needed for accuracy but improves the action feel a ton.

Good luck with the build and have fun.

just a couple notes on Stockade. The stocks are more than say B&C, but that's because they are all made to order. Kevin will do anything you want, though it can get pricey, this includes adding weight if you want. His customer service is top rate.

For a barrel, also check out Benchmark, those guys are a really good bunch.

For trigger, I've had good luck with my Rifle Basix trigger, though some have had different experiences

This is your first build, keep it simple

Stevens action
Criterion 24" heavy magnum or light varmint barrel with Ross schuler brake
Boyd's varmint stock or Bell and Carlson duramaxx
Sss comp trigger
SSS recoil lug
Vortex Viper hs 5-15x44 (470$ after midway promo code)
Criterion will thread the barrel for you brake
You can bed it with jb weld or devcon yourself, I did this same exact setup and can hit a 18/24" steel gong all day long out to 800.

This is your first build, keep it simple

Stevens action
Criterion 24" heavy magnum or light varmint barrel with Ross schuler brake
Boyd's varmint stock or Bell and Carlson duramaxx
Sss comp trigger
SSS recoil lug
Vortex Viper hs 5-15x44 (470$ after midway promo code)
Criterion will thread the barrel for you brake
You can bed it with jb weld or devcon yourself, I did this same exact setup and can hit a 18/24" steel gong all day long out to 800.

Thanks for the input. That is sort of the way I'm leaning. I think I need to get the gun in first and see how it shoot. I tend to think about step 6 before I do step 1 (lol that why I'm already planning my 1k yd rifle) :) I've seen way too many factory Stevens that shoot <=1MOA. That would meet my needs.

I'll keep this going with updates.

Stockade stocks are top notch give them a look ! I have also had good luck with the old style trigger with the sear adjustment screw..you can usually pick them up for $20 or so !

The stockys stocks are great and the fit and finish is second to none its my choice

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.