First buck

tuscan

Great time hunting antelope for our first time ever this year. On the rolling plains in eastern CO. We had a great guide/outfitter who has around 100,000 acres under hunting lease. That gave us the chance to look at a lot of goats, and we probably saw only 1/10th of his lease. We tried about 5 stalks the first day. On the last stalk of the day, my brother took a nice buck, at about 280 yards with an old model 70 Winchester 7mm Rem Mag (nicely rebarreled and trued by Hill Country Rifles) using Hornady Precision Hunter ammo. One shot through the heart and this buck, with a broken left prong, dropped where he stood:
1603741896000.png

The next morning it was my turn. My day turned out to be easy, and the hunt was over at 9am. The fourth buck we saw was a shooter. He was upwind and was grazing alone. No does around to alert to our presence. We were able to stalk in unnoticed to 380 yards. The terrain allowed a prone position, but only his torso was visible as he was grazing over the ridge line. My brother ranged him and gave me the dope, and I put one shot through both lungs. The Mesa Precision Arms 6.5PRC, shooting Hornady Match ammo has not let me down. The prong on his right side was broken off and his neck had a 10" fresh scrape down to the skin from a very recent fight. When we retrieved him, we saw another lone buck on the skyline grazing about 600 yards away. Maybe the one who left the gash in my buck's neck.

1603812850062.png

A great - but may be too short - hunt for some beautiful animals! Many thanks to a great guide and outfitter, Randy Lewis, for making it happen.

Tuscan those are nice bucks. Congrats! Pronghorn hunting is fun. They feed all day, the hunt doesn't slow down a half hour after sunrise. When a friend came down to WY from Alaska to hunt with me a few years back, I told him this was not like any hunt we had been on up north. It was almost a shame his hunt ended in 25 minutes with a 80 inch plus buck.

Great time hunting antelope for our first time ever this year. On the rolling plains in eastern CO. We had a great guide/outfitter who has around 100,000 acres under hunting lease. That gave us the chance to look at a lot of goats, and we probably saw only 1/10th of his lease. We tried about 5 stalks the first day. On the last stalk of the day, my brother took a nice buck, at about 280 yards with an old model 70 Winchester 7mm Rem Mag (nicely rebarreled and trued by Hill Country Rifles) using Hornady Precision Hunter ammo. One shot through the heart and this buck, with a broken left prong, dropped where he stood:
View attachment 221633

The next morning it was my turn. My day turned out to be easy, and the hunt was over at 9am. The fourth buck we saw was a shooter. He was upwind and was grazing alone. No does around to alert to our presence. We were able to stalk in unnoticed to 380 yards. The terrain allowed a prone position, but only his torso was visible as he was grazing over the ridge line. My brother ranged him and gave me the dope, and I put one shot through both lungs. The Mesa Precision Arms 6.5PRC, shooting Hornady Match ammo has not let me down. The prong on his right side was broken off and his neck had a 10" fresh scrape down to the skin from a very recent fight. When we retrieved him, we saw another lone buck on the skyline grazing about 600 yards away. Maybe the one who left the gash in my buck's neck.

View attachment 221725

A great - but may be too short - hunt for some beautiful animals! Many thanks to a great guide and outfitter, Randy Lewis, for making it happen.
Pronghorn hunting is so exciting. You see game the whole time, and you're constantly evaluating various bucks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.