First Buck with my 330 Dakota XP-100

ewallace

I made it out hunting Sunday. I paddled my kayak out in a beaver pond around a mile to a spot where I can get shots to 900 yards. I set up and was glassing the open aria for about 2hrs and then a couple deer came out I grabbed my laser and ranged the doe at 476 yards. I was watching the doe and fawn for a about :15 and noticed a buck past the doe. He looked like a decent buck so I ranged him at 614 yards. I got a good rest with the harris bipod on a log, I put 10.75 MOA for elevation in the scope and there was a very light wind around 3mph from right to left so I held 4" to the right and put the cross hair for a hi shoulder shot and pullet the trigger. The 330 Dakota barked and the buck went down I could not see him in the grass. I marked the spot where he was and packed up and headed out in his direction. When I got to the buck I could see a large exit wound from the 225g accubond bullet the wound channel was around 3" in diameter. After gutting him I pulled him down to the water and brought my boat over and loaded him up.

Here is a pic of the XP

DSC00762.jpg

Equipment
XP-100 in 330 Dakota
1.250 HV 18" Broughton 9T barrel
Leupold 3.5x10
Sworovski laser
225g accubond at 2880 FPS

If you think something is not possible move out of the way so the ones that are doing it can

Great words to live by. Unfortunately I get to see some of those people every other Wednesday for the next year.

Nice shot, nice harvast, nice story. Best of luck tommorrow and all the days that follow.

Mikenc

Eric,
Congrat's! It been awhile sinse we have spoken. Can I come to your house for dinner tonight? I'm thinking tender loins!! ;)

You still shooting competitively?

Steve

Hi Steve
Come on over the tender loins will be cooking over a open fire. I did not compete this year I am hopping to make it to the 1000 yard nationals in 08 hope to see you there.

Good story and great shooting.

I know the bolt handle has been changed on yours, but was curious if this is based on the XP-100 or the XP-100R? Who built it and which stock?

I have XP-100's and XP-100R's. I carried the 260 Rem. XP-100R over Thanksgiving and using the Burris 3.5X12 pistol scope watched some deer out to 400 yards from my stand, but didn't see a shooter. Maybe next time!

Good job !!!!!!! I'm surprised by your velocity your getting with your barrel length

you picked a good cal at least due to the fact that 330 Dakota brass is good...made by Norma for Dakota...

Good story and great shooting.

I know the bolt handle has been changed on yours, but was curious if this is based on the XP-100 or the XP-100R? Who built it and which stock?

I have XP-100's and XP-100R's. I carried the 260 Rem. XP-100R over Thanksgiving and using the Burris 3.5X12 pistol scope watched some deer out to 400 yards from my stand, but didn't see a shooter. Maybe next time!

Long450
The action is a older XP-100 and is a switch barrel gun the 330 Dakota barrel was chambered by Dwight Scott. The bolt is not stock it was made by Dave Kiff (Pacific Tool). I installed the bolt handle. The stock is form the 80s and is walnut I did the stock work. I am using a rifle scope Leupold 3.5x10

this is the bolt assembly you get form Dave
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/nawakwawallace/Kiff-XP-bolt.jpg?t=1196081686

and after I installed the bolt handle
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/nawakwawallace/XP-bolt-1.jpg?t=1196081810

wow !!!!

I am impressed with your velocity.... do you have good case life and any pressure signs.......

I am pretty sure you are beating what I can do with my .338 WM rifle by 100 fps or so. I love your pistol, and the ballistics are amazing I'm sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts