First blood with .257 Wby Mag.

Good point. I just hope it's there while I can save up enough to buy a scope and stuff. Was thinking about going with a Swarovski Z3...

But then I'll be into that setup for about $2,200 or so.

Any ther opinions out there?

Have yall ever heard of the .257 Ferguson "Hot Tamale"?? 4000 fps for a 100 gr. bullitt! Guarenteed to shoot 1/2 in groups.
Ferguson finds the load for you. All you do is load and shoot! He is out of Wharton, Texas. A Really Great place to look at for the not so common Magnums. I am going to have the 257 Hot Tamale built for the 75 gr. Hornady V/Max. Probably looking at 4300 or better! Look Out Varmits! Get ready to explode! Let me know what yalls thoughts are. Todd DuBose Gonzales, Texas [email protected]gun)-------------------------
icon8.gif

Can't say I've ever heard of Ferguson...but sounds like something I need to look into.

I would like to find the heaviest .257 caliber bullet I can for whitetail deer hunting. I was hoping around a 140-150 grain (if even possible) to have the most knock-down power I can.

I didn't get thay older Weatherby Deluxe .257 Wby.....Somebody else bought it before I got the money.

So, now I need a Remington 700 action to build a .257 hunting rifle off of. Or if someone is selling a wood stock Weatherby Deluxe in .257 Wby, then I might be interested in that as well. Just something very light weight with a good bore and rifling so I can hunt and walk some distance with it.

My AccuMark is just entirely too heavy to carry around for miles and miles of walking.

It's not bad on the short walks to the stand.....but when the others wanna go "stalk-hunting" for deer in the mid-day I usually wind-up leaving it in the truck. LOL

Ferguson Custom Rifles
Here at Ferguson Custom Rifles we love to hear from our customers. If you have feed back, questions or would like to order one of our custom hypervelocity rifles please feel free to fill out the form below or give us a call.
James Ferguson
5500 FM 1299 Rd.
Wharton, TX 77488

979.532.4799 | Home
979.533.0140 | Cell
979.532.4108 | Fax

[email protected] | E–mail

Maybe this will help. Todd

I would like to find the heaviest .257 caliber bullet I can for whitetail deer hunting.

Sierra offers a 120grn BTHP GK. It is very effective on whitetails. I have dropped 2 or 3 where they stood with them. It actually lifted one off the ground. That was pretty impressive, but that was at about 30yrds for two of them. I have to admit that one was a head shot, so no movement after that shot. It would put one hole at 100yrd using 52.8grns of IMR 4831.

Tank

Can't say I've ever heard of Ferguson...but sounds like something I need to look into.

I would like to find the heaviest .257 caliber bullet I can for whitetail deer hunting. I was hoping around a 140-150 grain (if even possible) to have the most knock-down power I can.

I didn't get thay older Weatherby Deluxe .257 Wby.....Somebody else bought it before I got the money.

So, now I need a Remington 700 action to build a .257 hunting rifle off of. Or if someone is selling a wood stock Weatherby Deluxe in .257 Wby, then I might be interested in that as well. Just something very light weight with a good bore and rifling so I can hunt and walk some distance with it.

My AccuMark is just entirely too heavy to carry around for miles and miles of walking.

It's not bad on the short walks to the stand.....but when the others wanna go "stalk-hunting" for deer in the mid-day I usually wind-up leaving it in the truck. LOL
You don't need a heavy bullet like your looking for to take whitetail. I've been shooting 25's including 2 - 257 whby's for over 20 years and the 100 grain does the job. The best but they quit making it was the nosler solid base. The speer, sierra fb, bt and hornady will kill any whitetail you can hit. I wouldn't get real wrapped up in bc because the 25's does not have a great selection.
Mike

Sierra offers a 120grn BTHP GK. It is very effective on whitetails. I have dropped 2 or 3 where they stood with them. It actually lifted one off the ground. That was pretty impressive, but that was at about 30yrds for two of them. I have to admit that one was a head shot, so no movement after that shot. It would put one hole at 100yrd using 52.8grns of IMR 4831.

Tank
Shoot...If I could have a 150 grain Nosler AccuBond I'd be in heaven! I bet it would bring the smack-down on one at about 100-150 yards! gun) It wouldn't know what hit it. Probably do a barrel-roll sideways and never move again. LOL :D

My 110 grain AccuBonds fly amazing out of my AccuMark at 100 yards, and left virtually no meat-damage on that doe I shot. But it rocked her insides! There was no lungs to be found.....Just little pieces about the size of your finger nail.

Reason I think a 150 grain AccuBond would be awesome would be b/c it would still have some awesome speed behind it, and it would be THE single-most capable caliber in the world for hunting everything from varmints to deer to Elk to Carribou.

You don't need a heavy bullet like your looking for to take whitetail. I've been shooting 25's including 2 - 257 whby's for over 20 years and the 100 grain does the job. The best but they quit making it was the nosler solid base. The speer, sierra fb, bt and hornady will kill any whitetail you can hit. I wouldn't get real wrapped up in bc because the 25's does not have a great selection.
Mike
I know what you mean Mike. The 110 AccuBonds did an awesome job on that doe I shot....But I would like a little bit heavier bullet for a little bit larger game like Elk and Carribou. Plus a heavier bullet would have a better BC, therefore would make the .257 Wby have a little bit better ballistics after 500 yards.

This is just my thoughts. I am just brainstorming and trying to get some other opinions as to what others might think of this idea.

I know what you mean Mike. The 110 AccuBonds did an awesome job on that doe I shot....But I would like a little bit heavier bullet for a little bit larger game like Elk and Carribou. Plus a heavier bullet would have a better BC, therefore would make the .257 Wby have a little bit better ballistics after 500 yards.

This is just my thoughts. I am just brainstorming and trying to get some other opinions as to what others might think of this idea.
Not trying to be a smart *** but what i posted i have done outr to 575. It seems like lightning strike with this gun. Im now putting togeather a 25 Bobcat which is a 270 wsm necked down. Hoping to get close th whby. vel. out of it. I also have a 25x284 with the sierra fb getting 3550 1/2 moa 3 shot groups outr of a ultra lite from ultra lite arms. That gun with 30 mm scope , loaded, sling, bipod, weighs in at 7 1/4 lb.
Mike

They do....its called a 270WBY. :)

Seriously though, if they did make a 140-150gr .257 bullet it would be so long that it either would cause difficulty loading, fitting the magazine or simply would be set so far into the case that you would loose more powder capacity than you would be willing to give up. RG

Well.....I might be adding another AccuMark to the collection this afternoon.

My buddy at the outdoors store recieved a used .30-378 on consignment late yesterday afternoon.

The price seems right, so I just might have to go get it. Dang, anther gun.....:D

Can't wait if I do! This weekend I'll be at the range doing a little gun)

Well, no go on the other Accumark. It was just too beat-up for the money.

Also, another deer season came and went and only got to go hunting a couple of times...It sucked.

Anybody get any monster bucks this year?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.